Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

Last weekend whilst preparing to go for a ride, I managed to drop my bike on its right side, putting a sizable dent in the side of the tank.

I don't think it is going to be repairable without some amount of fill which means a re-spray. So, I might as well turn this into something positive and give the bike a make-over.

I'm already set on the idea of a Busa gold usd front end conversion and I'm thinking black powder coated bug eyes off a T509.

I just might go matt black on the paintwork, carbon fibre fender and hugger, black wheels and very subtle gold and red highlights eg, thin gold rim tape, red heel guards and swing arm caps, gold Renthal sprocket, red Pazzo's etc. I've always been taken with the Moto Guzzi Scura, that minimalist look with a few strategic splashes of colour. Absolutely no chrome and not too much gold and red, just enough. I actually think it could look better than the Scura!

This leads to my question: what is the best way to achieve a durable finish with matt black? Would I spay the black, apply the Triumph decals (white, red or gold?) and then clear lacquer over the top?

It will probably take me a year to achieve what I want as I still want to ride in between mod work and accomplish this as funds allow.

Let me know what you think guys and I would really appreciate advice on the paint work.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Roden,
I was told by a painter (when researching paint for my MG's bonnet (or hood)) they now have a one stage matte paint available. By one stage I mean you don't need to clearcoat as the paint itself is durable enough. I never pursued actually seeing if this was true. Maybe an inquiry to your local auto paint shop is in order?
I think the graphite off the 675s would be a sweet color. I'd use yellow lettering too as the yellow bikes are much faster.... (The Lucifer orange comes close though)
Sounds like you are well into the makings of one tasteful, customized T3. Can wait to follow the progress.
Triton

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Graphite with yellow lettering you say?

I didn't think of that but it could be cool. I think the graphite 675's use gold lettering? Now that would look cool. Would the wheels need to match? I'm not sure but I think I would still follow the gold and red theme, or maybe yellow? Decisions, decisions.
The tail section of the Scura (from which I'm drawing inspiration) is graphite and fits in perfectly.

Now tritonwow, you created a special "Super IV" which should have been a production bike, it was just meant to be. Could I have a "Sprint Triple" on my hands? Is that too cheesy?

You might have me sold on the graphite mate...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mot, I always loved the orange but I could never do your Speedy justice, so I'll do something a bit different.

Graphite is good but maybe a bit darker, towards black but not quite black, sort of a matt gunmetal.

I'll talk to some paint shops next week. Hey, is painting ok for wheels or is powder coating the go? I guess if preparation is thorough, painting would be fine.

The other thing would be the seat. I might look at a basket weave with some red piping. Perhaps reshaping as well. I will be looking for a cowl and a belly pan that can be adapted to my 900SE.

Yes Mot, this is fun and I haven't started yet. To think I was so cranky about dropping my bike last week!

Hey mate, have you made any progress with the carb swap? Pods?

Cheers,

Roden

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Thanks Mot, I always loved the orange but I could never do your Speedy justice, so I'll do something a bit different.

Graphite is good but maybe a bit darker, towards black but not quite black, sort of a matt gunmetal.

I'll talk to some paint shops next week. Hey, is painting ok for wheels or is powder coating the go? I guess if preparation is thorough, painting would be fine.

The other thing would be the seat. I might look at a basket weave with some red piping. Perhaps reshaping as well. I will be looking for a cowl and a belly pan that can be adapted to my 900SE.

Yes Mot, this is fun and I haven't started yet. To think I was so cranky about dropping my bike last week!

Painting should be fine for your wheels, powder coat might be a bit more durable, more care has to be taken when masking them up to keep the powder coat off of the disc mounting surfaces though plus you need a bearing change too. Either way you will be careful (read paraniod !!) about who is changing your tires in future.

If you are having the seat done maybe an option would be to wait until after paint to get it reshaped. An option would then be to have the back if the seat done to mimic a cowl and have the seat done two tone...back end colour matched to paint front black single seat look type thing..?

I'm making a bit of progress with the carbs..will post an update in the carb thread a bit later today, it will be a week or so till they are running as I'm taking on mother nature single handedly with the gardening at the moment...!!!!

All the best
Mot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts