Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I had a sad, funny, obviously-did-the-wrong-thing moment last weekend. When I took the tank off to run the wires for the Denali SoundBomb, I put the tank down on a rolled up carpet we are conveniently storing next to the bike. I gave it a few shakes and it was on there nice and secure. Of course I was standing on the other end of the rolled up carpet and when I stepped off I was rewarded with a clunk and grinding sound as my red tank flopped off the rug and listed helplessly on its back like an endangered turtle.

After successfully restarting my heart, reinstalling and cleaning the poor tank I saw several nice scuffs and a small dent. It looks like I'm going to be buying a paint job.

Does anyone know a decent or cheap paint shop in LA? I'm in Korea Town but can drive out of town if it's worth it.

I'm going back and forth on if I want to paint the tank another (maybe a teal, or mint green?) color or shoot it all red. The decal might be too scuffed to save. I'd paint the side covers and front fender black or find some used black ones on eBay. Rear fender has been deleted already.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for shops (or shops to avoid).

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey guys.
I had a sad, funny, obviously-did-the-wrong-thing moment last weekend. When I took the tank off to run the wires for the Denali SoundBomb, I put the tank down on a rolled up carpet we are conveniently storing next to the bike. I gave it a few shakes and it was on there nice and secure. Of course I was standing on the other end of the rolled up carpet and when I stepped off I was rewarded with a clunk and grinding sound as my red tank flopped off the rug and listed helplessly on its back like an endangered turtle.

After successfully restarting my heart, reinstalling and cleaning the poor tank I saw several nice scuffs and a small dent. It looks like I'm going to be buying a paint job.

Does anyone know a decent or cheap paint shop in LA? I'm in Korea Town but can drive out of town if it's worth it.

I'm going back and forth on if I want to paint the tank another (maybe a teal, or mint green?) color or shoot it all red. The decal might be too scuffed to save. I'd paint the side covers and front fender black or find some used black ones on eBay. Rear fender has been deleted already.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for shops (or shops to avoid).

Thanks!
My sympathies mate; I’m usually that guy! I hope you find a good paint shop!

Chris

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
I hate it when that happens, know exactly how you feel.

Touch up the bare metal so it doesn't rust and ride it for a while, when that's allowed again. You might get used to it and it will stop bothering you and save a lot of money. After all, you can always get it painted if/when you decide that you can't live with it as it is.

In any case, the decal only has a few scratches, I could live with that even if I had the rest of it repaired and painted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tend to second Baltobonneville's reply. I am quickly finding out how much painting MC parts can cost. And, keep in mind this is coming from someone who couldn't deal with a little pitting on the fins! Not to mention it will be fun to perseverate over color choices for the next however many months...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure how far you'd want to drive, but you're in L.A., so you've got a Buh-Jillion shops all around.

I'm in OC, and have had Fountain Valley Body Works do great piece work on motorcycle tanks and body parts. They have a guy who does piece work for cash... trying to remember, perhaps his name is Kevin. They have two shops, this guy is at the location on Newhope, not on Euclid.

Very sorry to hear what you're going through!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. You’re not too far from me. Hit up motochopshop and see if (Kevin) can recommend someone. He’s a little busy these days since he blew up on social media but maybe he can point you in a direction (though I think he works with vendors mostly in van nuys area). Otherwise I know there is a shop/painter in Oxnard who builds vintage triumphs and does a great job. He painted an efi tank for a friend of mine in 60s color scheme and it came out amazing. I don’t remember the shop’s name at the moment but dm me if interested and I’ll get the name for ya. Another friend of mine who builds choppers uses a guy in Burbank that paints out of his garage. Apparently he’s amazing and fairly priced. I can get his name and number for ya if you’re interested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want that cheap intermediate solution, you can try and find a car touchup paint pen in the right colour and see how far that gets you. Results can be pretty good, especially in combo with a clear coat pen. Biggest difficulty is to get it as smooth as possible.
Those scratches on the left side, are they in the red paint or just the clear coat? If it's just the clear coat, just could fill em in with the pen carfully, some fine sanding and a polish will get you a pretty good cleanup. Judging by the swirls, the tank could benefit from a polish anyways

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply guys! I'll reach out to your recommend shops. I've started looking into some of that touch-up paint. Seems like a good solution for the big dented scratch on the right side of the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts