Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if its just me but my speedmaster seems to scratch with some one breathing on it, i seem to be getting loads of them in the lacquer, have tried several products but cant seem to get them out, their not into the paint its self but its starting to bug me a bit:mad:

i have the blue/white model, has any one else noticed this with the triumph paintwork

·
Registered
401 Posts
My Thruxton paint is all hazed up.

I am going to buff out the tank and cowl and see how it holds out, but it seems that the clear coat is soft, and takes scratches pretty easily.

-simpson

·
Registered
306 Posts
Scratch Remover??

I was just wondering if anyone had tried any of the scratch remover products? I have a Silver so the scratches are not that noticeable but they are there and I wondered if the removers (more accurately Hiders) do any good before I bought them.

Pops

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone had tried any of the scratch remover products? I have a Silver so the scratches are not that noticeable but they are there and I wondered if the removers (more accurately Hiders) do any good before I bought them.

Pops
Most of those products contain fillers. Silicone, etc to fill the scratches. They camoflage the haze temporarily, until you wash or get rained on.

The best way to remove the scratches is to refine them with compounds, wet sanding or polish. The darker the paint, the easier the harder it is to refine out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agreed, most of the "Billy Mays"-type miracle scratch removers are not worth a hill of beans. You'll need some real paint finessing materials, as Simpson indicates. I like the Meguiar's line of products, as well as the 3M line. Good stuff, that will yield show-quality results.

FWIW, the paint isn't lacquer... it's a (most probably) a medium- to high-sollids thermoset acrylic enamel, maybe even a urethane. Lacquers are harder paints that are much easier to polish; but they're not as "tough" as a TSA or urethane, and they're more fragile - they're hard, so they're brittle. I can't think of a single OEM - worldwide - that uses lacquer in this day and age, not even in China where they don't give a rat's ass about emissions! And, high-solids base/clears are actually less expensive to apply these days than would be a lacquer.

My 0.02 - :)
Regards,
XLXRider

·
Registered
306 Posts
lacquer

I thought that was case with the so called scratch removers. I have not done any painting in many years so I have not worked with the clear coats.

I used to love using lacquer because it was so easy to work with. If you had an imperfection you could just rub it out and shoot it again. Nothing looks like multiple coats of hand rubbed lacquer for depth and shine.

Pops

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have used a bunch of different "Professional" 3M Brand and other Famous name products.
The only one I have ever used that remotely worked was Nu-Finish Scratch remover,DIFFERENT THAN THE POLYMER SEALANT It comes in a tube and is cheap and is sold at all your auto shops and Walmarts & so forth.
It came out a few years back and I decided to try it.Works very well.
Big claim is it's for new paints and Base coat/clear coats etc.

I think that their (Nu-Finish) polymer sealant wax/protective sealant is great!!
If you have a clean surface you get a year or longer of outstanding protection.
I use a detail spray all the time to keep the shine tops.
Nu-Finish Orange bottle----A Cheap Polymer sealant.
They claim you apply once and it lasts a year and/or 365 car washes???
But it is good and I use it despite the sily hype,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts