Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what as anyone done to protect there paint of there gas tanks. I usually have tank protectors IE: techspec pads, but want a clear coat protection over my soon to be in possesion 09matte speedy gas tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why do you think you need them? Mine has over 21,000 miles in all types of weather (I live in the Great Northwest after all - if it is not raining now, it soon will be) and have used only wax - paint still looks great. Even the tank bag that is always mounted has made no marks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had issues with just the plain jet black tank little barely unoticable grooves (only see them when the light hits) from tank bag etc.. now with a matte black paint job comming in, I would really like to provide a good layer of protection over paint. Matte black paint jobs are really sensitive to any extra rubbing or scratches. When constant rubbing accurs it goes to a shiny color and there is no way that I have heard of yet, to correct it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, I ordered the 3m tank protector kit, but I am worried that it will add a glossy shine.
as anyone used 3m or tankslappers that can answer the following?
1) 3m shine, does it add a glossy look?
2) tankslapper how long does it last before it gets yellow tints?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Just my opinion: let the matte paint get shiny and show that the bike is being used. It will look much nicer than some shiny clingwrap solution, that you will be agitating over instead of enjoying your new ride.

Same thing as on a nice leather couch. Some patina will just enhance the look, unlike keeping the factory wraps on for 20 years after purchase. If you insist on keeping tank factory fresh you can always use a Bagster/Baglux tankcover, but then nobody will see the pristine paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 3M protective film works really well, I have it on the nose of my GTI. It will add some sheen, but I highly reccomend it

·
Registered
204 Posts
tech Spec is #1 on matte black!

I have this on my matte black 09 and love it!!!
it looks better than anything else you can put on it IMHO!

I went with the snake skin,just tell them to send the one for the 08 it's the same tank!It's not shinny and Looks tough! feels great when you grip the tank! I really love it On mine !

http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/gs_triumph.html

And be sure to take those two stickers Off the fuel tank ASAP!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have this on my matte black 09 and love it!!!
it looks better than anything else you can put on it IMHO!

I went with the snake skin,just tell them to send the one for the 08 it's the same tank!It's not shinny and Looks tough! feels great when you grip the tank! I really love it On mine !

http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/gs_triumph.html

And be sure to take those two stickers Off the fuel tank ASAP!
this was covere in another topic, I am talking about paint protection for the whole tank. clear stuff.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought one of their kits, comes in laser cut pieces and you spray the paintwork with a light solution of baby shampoo and water, spread and fit with a rubber squeegy, you get pieces for the side of the tank, nose cowl, side panels, front mudguard etc, make sure its warm when you fit, makes job 100% easier.

http://www.invisiblefilm.co.uk/

·
Registered
204 Posts
this was covere in another topic, I am talking about paint protection for the whole tank. clear stuff
I know this isn't what you were wanting BUT I also know that if you let little things like this worry you to death it can get to the point of Actually taken the fun out of riding!

I seem to be a lot like yourself I to worry about stuff like paint ,detail,color match,ETC.... I was getting to the point that my friend was telling me every time I turned around " It's a road Bike Not a Show Bike" Ride more worry less! and he's right!!!

Theres nothing Wrong with taken Great care of your stuff but there is a certain point you need to let go IMHO

Besides LOL :~) your supposed to be watching the road not looking at the Tank J/K :~)

IMHO anything you put over that Matte finish is gonna show!Best to just ride it and get it redone ever few years if it bothers ya that much IMHO and The Snake skins are the way to go,they look awesome on My matte black S3 ...................................

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have an '07 with a plastic tank and the clear coat is so soft that it leaves scratches and swirls all over the tank, no matter what you do. I got the techspec skins on the bike for added grip, since I used to slide forward with a passenger on the back and impale my nuts on the tank. I figure, just ride, don't worry about the small stuff. There is nothing you can do when it comes to regular wear and tear, that is just a biproduct of having a good time.

How soft is the clearcoat on the metal gas tanks?

·
Registered
204 Posts
How soft is the clearcoat on the metal gas tanks?
Let me put it this way The clear Coat on my M109R suzuki was so soft i had a butterfly land on it one day and it left feet print :~)

The clear coat on bikes as i stated before isn't half as hard as a cars Clear coat for some reason!Different stuff i guess Why i don't know,Maybe to get a more Brilliant Shine to help sales?You tell me :~)

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's F'n terrible. My tank was chipped and scratched before I could even get it home.
So it's on par with my plastic one. ;)

I think it's mainly Triumph, since none of my other friends with Japanese and Italian bikes have this problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My new 09 jet black, on the way home from the dealer, 10km ride it was all ready scratched up badly with several concentrated up and down swirls. It immediatley hit the area with some good quality wax to try and illiminate any more scratches but, after a week of riding more have appeared, ****ing terrible.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My new 09 jet black, on the way home from the dealer, 10km ride it was all ready scratched up badly with several concentrated up and down swirls. It immediatley hit the area with some good quality wax to try and illiminate any more scratches but, after a week of riding more have appeared, ****ing terrible.
Best thing in the world for scratch's in clear coats is "Nu finish" Scratch Doctor!!!

If it's a surface scratch!
This stuff is the only thing to use if it want remove it ,forget it!

And i just rub it on with my fingers with a micro towel,it may take two or three times depending on how deep the scratch is,but i get Just about all the scratch's out of my clear coats with it,and it will take those hair line scratch's out of your wind screens if you have a bike with one! this stuff is just a super fine rubbing compound and it works great! made my wind screen on my GSXR look like new!

Turtle rubbing compound is the worst thing you can use IMHO i watched a sales guy really fork up a spot on a Bike they had on the floor with turtle wax rubbing compound No Joke, Nu Finish is the way to go,they sale it over here at most auto parts stores and Wally world :~) Not sure about over there in Aussie land :~)

it's in a orange Bottle with black top! in the wax Section.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts