Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been having any problems with paint? I was showing my bike to someone yesterday and noticed small raised bumps in the paint of the tank. At first I thought it might be tree sap, like off a pine tree, but I dont park under a pine tree, I park in the barn. I tried some wax and tar remover, with no effect. I then tried polishing compound with a power buffer, with still no effect. It looks like the clear is creating small bubbles, or is raising to make small bumps. I have not yet decided just what is happening, but thought I would check here to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Sorry to read about your paint problem, I don't have that problem with my paint, but have had other paint issues, nothing serious enough to involve the dealer or warranty, took care of it myself by doing what you've tried to do!. It sounds like your problem might be under the paint, or the clear? and if thats the case it sounds like your dealers problem, not yours. I'm curious, are the rest of the painted parts the same way, or is it just the tank? hope you figure it out, good luck.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-12-02 13:29, TooManyBikes wrote:
looks like the clear is creating small bubbles, or is raising to make small bumps. I have not yet decided just what is happening, but thought I would check here to see if anyone else had a similar experience.
Never seen that on a Triumph factory paint job but have on custom paint jobs not prepped just right. AFAIK can only fix by repainting (they'll probably just swap out the tank since it's in warranty).

·
Registered
855 Posts
Does it look like this?

[ This message was edited by: Pig9r on 2006-12-03 14:13 ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pig9, it does look a bit like that, but much more. The whole top of the tank is like that, and since it goes down below where the seat meets the tank, It cannot be tree sap. I am quite sure it was not there when I bought the bike. Snow is coming tomorrow, so it will likely have to wait until spring to bring it to the dealer. It seems to be either in the clear, or under the primer, since the bubbles are in the white area, the red area, and even the gold coach line area. As you can imagine, I am dissapointed.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mine has popped a couple of months after delivery in March. Hopefully it won't spread. Sorry to hear yours is more extensive. I think I am the only one that can notice mine right now. It is difinately something coming up from underneath because the clear coat is intact.

[ This message was edited by: Pig9r on 2006-12-03 14:17 ]

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
hi toomany,my bike was delivered with a paint defect.changed by dealer when i showed them.new one is perfect.no problem with changing it under warranty claim

·
Registered
13 Posts
mines a black 04 rocket and i noticed bubbles like thease appearing around the tank badge , so i took it to my dealer for them to take a look and they replaced my tank with know hesitation

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have also noticed some bubbbles on my tank, seem to be getting worse as time goes on also. Any solutions to this? I have a 2003 S4.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Triumph replaced mine under warranty. Isn't the S4's tank plastic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
it certainly seems like metal to me (looks feels and sounds) but i could be mistaken. I am not the original owner of the bike, would triumph still replace this you think? I'm just worried its going to get worse and start being a lot more noticeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts