Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 79 Bonne last year around this time, and I've got it down to painting it and a few other things. But correct me if Im wrong, I was told by a guy who did some work on my bike that the 79 750 Bonneville T-140e in cherry red was the last year that Triumph made that specific color. I want to do the tank and I have new side pannels, neither of them are red, But am I going to have a hard time getting that color red? Because i've glanced over some other posts about paint and they said that there are places to get Triumph paint. I dont want to go to some paint guy and have him try to match the red on his spectrometer and not get it right and pay for a bad match. Any ideas? and if im wrong about the paint please correct me.

·
Super Moderator
12,458 Posts
Here's something only a few really savvy Triumph people will admit (including Don Hutchison):

You can line up a dozen of the same year model bikes with ORIGINAL PAINT, and you're likely to get 3 different shades of Red. you are also likely to get at least 2 different masking schemes, and definitely 3 or 4 different coachline widths.

Nobody can thin and mix paint EXACTLY the same way 10 times in a row, and even if they did, the ambient conditions are not very likely to be EXACTLY the same every time.

YOU WILL GET SOME VARIATIONS.

Spectrometers are good, but modern paint formulations have slightly different finish results than old cellulose formulations. They are close enough that you can slip one in between a handful of the oldies and it might not stand out at all. The give-away is the modern protective clearcoat which original Triumph paint formulations can never provide.

My painter does a fantastic job using Hutchison supplied paint, adhesion promoter mid-coat, and modern clearcoat.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yeah, fine.

Finish: tank:- painted with panels-lined - with top scollop mofit - lined

side panels:- painted, with "screw-on" identification badges - chrome or gold leters on grey or black background.

You will need to do a little research get the Bonnie book by our friend J R Nelson as there seems to be 5 color varients, black with red, beige with gold, dark blue and silver, black with silver, candy apple red with black.

And other info of different models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts