Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

paint code for 2001 Bonneville

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kleahy003 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I'm planning some mods to my 2001 Bonneville this winter. My question today is 'Does anyone know the paint code for the silver used for this particular year of Bonneville?' I see some possibilities listed on the Triumph site, but, don't know the name they are calling this silver. Any thoughts? Thanks peoples ....d.

#2 ·
The paint codes are available from the Triumph America website. However, it probably won't do you any good. The DuPont paints manufactured in the UK are not available in the U.S. and probably not in Canada either.

I took a part to a DuPont supplier and had them shoot it with their ChromaVision spectograph, they then mixed up the paint. My buddy the painter has done the test panel and it looks like a good match.

I won't get the part back till next week to be 100% sure of the match, but I'm not worried (yet).

Silver might be easier to match.

Hope this helps....

Cyn-

#11 ·
The paint codes are available from the Triumph America website. However, it probably won't do you any good. The DuPont paints manufactured in the UK are not available in the U.S. and probably not in Canada either.

I took a part to a DuPont supplier and had them shoot it with their ChromaVision spectograph, they then mixed up the paint. My buddy the painter has done the test panel and it looks like a good match.

I won't get the part back till next week to be 100% sure of the match, but I'm not worried (yet).

Silver might be easier to match.

Hope this helps....

Cyn-
Great information

#5 ·
Dave - the small phials of colour-coded touch-up paint have been easy to get down in Australia and NZ - I have the code for the Forest Green of some 2001s here; the silver is another thig though - all the write-ups in the Oz journals (Two Wheels, and Australian Road Rider, for example), and the Triumph magazine, just called it plain 'silver', no identifying tags. maybe it won't be too hard to match; tell us how you get on - cheers mate, DrP

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I am hoping to paint the fenders silver with a stripe of original red left down the center of the fenders, then do the gold pinstripe to separate the two colours. I have seen some vintage Bonnies with the fenders done this way. I like the look.
Unfortunately, in Canada, our riding season is suspended by the weatherman. It's snowing outside today and the bikes are all nestled up in the garage wrapped in soft cloth and waiting for spring.
I think the silver will be easy enough to match. It will be just a matter of either getting it scanned at the paint shop or finding an automotive colour that matches.
When I get the fenders done I will post some photos of the results. Right now I am waiting for some superbars to arrive from Bellacorse... any day now I hope.
Thanks again everyone, great site, great bike, great support from follow Triumph riders everywhere ..... you RULE !!

#8 ·
went i got cut off this summer i had paint damage to my front fender 2001 scarlet anyways i had this little tiny scratch not even 3cm - it was cheaper to replace the fender than to try to order the paint. a place in Montreal has the paint but it was like a million dollars a can

#9 ·
Yes, I had thought about putting Thruxton fenders on my Bonnie as a plan 'B'. Has anyone tried doing that yet? I think it would look pretty cool. Has any one priced out this idea at their local dealer?

#10 ·
Got thinking about my last post RE: Thruxton fenders on a Bonneville. Realized that the Thruxton has an 18" front wheel, while the Bonneville's is 19". Don't think that would work to well. Looks like the Bellecorse aftermarket fenders would be the answer, except, they would need painting .... back to plan 'A'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.