Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do to a previous injury riding an mx bike, I just can't take the pain in my neck from the thrux riding position any more. After an hour or so I am freakin about crippled. Yes I guess I'm a wussy. Thinkin about converting to standard top clamp and bars or one of the clip-on eliminator kits but thinking the rear sets with a bonnie type bar will be uncomfortable. Anyone put bonnie type peg mounts on their thrux? Will a bonnie top clamp work with the thrux tach and speedo mounting plate? Any input will be appreciated.

[ This message was edited by: devrep on 2007-03-11 10:05 ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
O.K. - bro, Im going to help you out a bit here, and all you other pansies :wink: that cant take the Thrux riding position listen up - k...

First of all, when riding in a aggressive position many of you - most of you put all of the pressure onto your shoulders and wrists. Guess what, on a bike you are not supposed to be relaxed, matter of fact the only thing that should be relaxed is your shoulders and wrists.

The first thing you need to do is use your back muscle. Use your back to hold your body up. This will constitute the upper thigh muscle as well the lower and middle back. The stomach plays a part as well due to this is what you use while turning.
Second: You need to take the pressure off of your shoulders by dropping your elbows. You are not on a MX bike, and your not flying anywhere soon, so drop the elbow and wrist so they are loose.

Following my advice you will notice a huge increase in comfort, as well you may get a couple new muscles and not look so much like a wus - :)

Im from the skool that you dont change a bike to fit you, you change yourself to fit a particular bike. Just like I wouldnt ride a Harley as I ride my Thrux, you chose a Thrux so learn to ride it...

[ This message was edited by: Whitehurst on 2007-03-11 12:15 ]

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2007-03-11 10:05, devrep wrote:
Do to a previous injury riding an mx bike, I just can't take the pain in my neck from the thrux riding position any more.
The pain may be from holding your head too far up. I came off the Tiger (very upright) and felt like I was looking down at the front wheel. To compensate, I held my head too far back to match the position from the Tiger. I've since learned to keep my head naturally aligned, and adjust the eyes for a good view.

The Tiger also had a wide stance on the bars, similar to offroad bars which kept force off the bars. The Thrux of course is low and tucked, so Whitehurst's comments may help.

Back and abs to support your torso. Don't lock elbows, or put pressure on your wrists. Its hard to stay light on the input if your weight is bearing down on the bars.

I ride close to the tank, balls of my feet on top of the pegs, and use my legs to clinch. This helps me avoid over gripping the bars.

Experiment around for a while before you try and move to higher bars, or to a more upright bike.

[ This message was edited by: whoa on 2007-03-11 11:37 ]

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put heli bars on mine. Too old, to beat up for the stock ones. Been a tough guy all my life. Figure Ive got a right to be a wus now.

Friend of mine put rear sets on his Bonnie. It helped with his neck.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I figure mounting a set of 27" wide "Euro" bars on standard mounts with the rearsets would give a riding position very much like my old 1985 BMW K100RS, which was the most comfortable ride ever, for me. Oh, have to change the Thrux. seat, too. Needs more foam cush and height for my comfort. Long leggity guy that I am. Hard to get my feet on the pegs upon take-off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On 2007-03-11 10:05, devrep wrote:
Do to a previous injury riding an mx bike, I just can't take the pain in my neck from the thrux riding position any more. After an hour or so I am freakin about crippled. Yes I guess I'm a wussy. Any input will be appreciated.
ok , face it you got the wrong Triumph, sell it to me and buy one of these, note the bars to seat ergonomics, very comfortable and chicks dig a Triumph Tina

[ This message was edited by: roadminge on 2007-03-11 12:46 ]

·
Registered
315 Posts
On 2007-03-11 11:05, Whitehurst wrote:
O.K. - bro, Im going to help you out a bit here, and all you other pansies :wink: that cant take the Thrux riding position listen up - k...

First of all, when riding in a aggressive position many of you - most of you put all of the pressure onto your shoulders and wrists. Guess what, on a bike you are not supposed to be relaxed, matter of fact the only thing that should be relaxed is your shoulders and wrists.

The first thing you need to do is use your back muscle. Use your back to hold your body up. This will constitute the upper thigh muscle as well the lower and middle back. The stomach plays a part as well due to this is what you use while turning.
Second: You need to take the pressure off of your shoulders by dropping your elbows. You are not on a MX bike, and your not flying anywhere soon, so drop the elbow and wrist so they are loose.

Following my advice you will notice a huge increase in comfort, as well you may get a couple new muscles and not look so much like a wus - :)

Im from the skool that you dont change a bike to fit you, you change yourself to fit a particular bike. Just like I wouldnt ride a Harley as I ride my Thrux, you chose a Thrux so learn to ride it...
I coudn't have said it better. I don't understand how people ride all stiff armed on the thrux. you can't corner like that at all, and it just looks goofy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would have to 2nd the Heli-bar recomendation...I have some disc's in my neck a bit left of center and I tried the standard bars for a few weeks...it hurt...a lot!

The Heli-bars are great quality an easy install and very comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts