Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for a paddock stand for the Triple? I have the R&G spool bobbins installed.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
137 Posts
i use a pitbull, one fort the front and another one for the rear, if you do a search there are many types of stands that you can use, I wanted to get an Abba but i found them to be quite spendy..

how Ironic Neanderthal.. lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use the Vortex rear wheel stand. I use spools, but comes with "hooks" AND pads for spooled/non-spooled use. It's also only around $100. Works great.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. The Abba looks great, but I don't see it available anywhere in the states. I emailed Steel Horse Fabrication after reading a great review of their stand, and the owner emailed back and seems like a good guy. I'll check out the Vortex.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I didn't have any luck finding a dealer in the USA either. The nice thing about that ABBA stand is that it's rock-stable and no threat of the bike falling over. Also, the bike will easily "teeter" from front to rear if you want to service the front wheel or level it.
With the spool-mounted stands, you need to be careful or you'll scratch up that beautiful swing arm. I coated the "hook" sections of my Pit Bull stand with that liquid rubber stuff you dip tools in, that really helps prevent booboos, still gotta be careful though.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
54 Posts
which Spools?

Hey Ken, I am checking out the Vortex stand as well, what type of spools (bobbins) whatever... do you use? It appeared that the Triumph licensed ones were the cheapest I found but i wonderded what other people were using.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Pit Bull here, unfortunately I bought it used and it's the regular model, not the forward handle version, which I would prefer, but the price was right, can't complain about it's quality.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi SMF77. I use the Triumph Rear Bobbins (black). They work fine with the Vortex stand. However the Triumph bobbins do not stick out far, so if you use them, get used to uprighting the bike BEFORE you prop up with stand. Proping from a leaned bike (sidestand) using the Triumph Bobbins is a recipe for scratched swingarm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks.

Ken,
I actually went with the vortex spools. silver in color kind of half with i would have gone with black, but wasn't sure i'd like the color next to the grayish color or the swing arm. the silver ones look ok. i got the vortex stand as well. and well getting it on to the stand anyway is a trick, but one i look forward to checking out.
sone one else had talked about putting the sticky foam lines on to the edges to dull the sharpness of the stand. that might be worth while to take good care of the baby.

·
Registered
210 Posts
smf77,

I went w/ silver spools as well. I got the pit bull simply because it was on the showroom floor the day I bought the bike. The slight balancing act during initial raising and lowering gave me the willies the first time or two, but I quickly got used to that. I have noted that the spool notch part on the PB stand is marginally in the way of the forward adjusting nuts when doing chain adjustments. You can certainly manage it, but just a wee bit in the way.

Best.

·
Registered
366 Posts
SMF77, I don't have any problems with the Votex stand scratching the swingarm..but do be careful to upright the bike BEFORE sliding the stand in place (or the lean angle WILL scratch the swingarm). The balancing act is weird at first, but you get used to it. As far as the sharp edges...you may want to try "Plasti-dip" (also "Plasti-spray") to coat the hooks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In order to avoid scratching the swingarm I use a block of wook under the side-stand to straighten the bike up before slipping the paddock stand up to bobbins.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks everyone. The Abba looks great, but I don't see it available anywhere in the states. I emailed Steel Horse Fabrication after reading a great review of their stand, and the owner emailed back and seems like a good guy. I'll check out the Vortex.
I picked up the Abba stand in Canada in Jan. The importer had it in stock and I ordered through a motorcycle dealer. I picked it up during a trip ( I live in Seattle ), but I'm sure it could be shipped. In fact one dealer I talked to did offer to ship.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts