Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so a few weeks ago some guy outside my office had a new Triumph Tiger, and he was obviously a new biker, shiny bike, mid-life crisis, etc. He said to me "How do you get your bike on the paddock stand? I can't get mine to lift up?"
Now I stifled a chuckle, and said "You just have to have a bit of confidence. Hold the bike up like this, put it under, and push hard"

So I get my new Thruxton R 1200, screw in the bobbins, and can I lift it up? Almost my entire body weight, and the frigging thing won't lift.
It turns out that the smaller back wheel results in lower bobbins, meaning there's just not enough leverage in the standard stand to lift it unless you weigh over 100Kg.

Off I go to the local AMX store, try a few stands, and there's only one that is low enough to lift the bike. I take a nice new one home in its box, build it using an impact driver to make sure it's rigid (my old one was a one-piece), and then give it a go.

It bent!!! It scared the crap out of me as the left side partially collapsed as I was lifting it!

So in the end I went back to my original stand, modified the system to result in the wheel only lifting about 5cm off the ground, and the problem is solved.

So, just as a warning for people planning to get a new paddock stand, make sure you don't get one that will result in a 10+cm clearance under the back wheel :)
Also, be aware that unless you get bobbins with extensions, they are quite close together, so your stand's brackets will have to be adjusted a long way in. This makes them prone to twisting the stand.

Oh, and the next time I see Mr Mid-life-crisis I'll have to apologise for assuming he was incompetent

Here's a picture of the one that bent (same stand, but the rear version):

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a Pitbull, no prob with no extensions. No flex at all. You get what you pay for and Pitbull are seriously heavy duty. Easy to lift. They even offer a longer handle option to provide more leverage.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I use a Pitbull, no prob with no extensions. No flex at all. You get what you pay for and Pitbull are seriously heavy duty. Easy to lift. They even offer a longer handle option to provide more leverage.
Which model? Son had the OEM bobbins installed on his R prior to delivery. No idea whether he's sourced a stand. What besides Pitbull is there anyway?

I'm spoiled with the OEM stand for my SSS M796. Solid as a rock and any wimp can use it one-handed. ;)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put spools on my Thruxton R last weekend without extenders and lifted its rear with my new $60 stand from Cycle Gear with no problem (this one: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-rear-paddock-stand ). I'm not sure why your experience was any different?
I'd guess because the lift height on that stand is low enough for it to be feasible.
That stand looks seriously strong, without the stupid 'kinked metal' system on the one I bought.

Of course, even if your stand has a relatively high (standard?) lift height, it looks like these would solve the problem too! :
Offset Cotton Reels for Triumph Street Twin '16-, Thruxton 1200 / R '16-

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered this last week, to use in conjunction with the Triumph screw-in stand-bobbins... I like it a lot. And it didn't break the bank.
It's the Oxford - Big Black.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-big-black-bike-rear-stand
I hope you ordered the optional spool supports too, as you can't use the provided swing-arm rests on the Thruxton because the ABS and exhaust get in the way (I tried).
I don't know about the 'Big Black' model, but at least it has those little braces, which is more than my model had!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I hope you ordered the optional spool supports too, as you can't use the provided swing-arm rests on the Thruxton because the ABS and exhaust get in the way (I tried).
I don't know about the 'Big Black' model, but at least it has those little braces, which is more than my model had!
Yes. It was only $20 for the optional Oxford brand Spool adaptors. They are width adjustable as well. So exact width is achievable, with room to adjust either way still. Plenty of leverage. And the whole system felt very stiff. I like it. Hence my recommendation. Cheers.

(I've already had to use it when I installed the black Triumph Sump/Skid Plate Kit. The instructions stated one can't install it while the bike is on the kick-stand... I believe My Triumph dealer is $99 and hour. This stand w/bobbin kit, was less than that. So it already paid for itself in my particular case.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Which model? Son had the OEM bobbins installed on his R prior to delivery. No idea whether he's sourced a stand. What besides Pitbull is there anyway?

I'm spoiled with the OEM stand for my SSS M796. Solid as a rock and any wimp can use it one-handed. ;)
SS model. I also got the hybrid headlift stand with the 26S pin.

I am using the gold LighTech Bobbins

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the best stands being made is local to Australia... Anderson Stands. http://andersonstands.com/
That is an awesome stand, and adjustable height!
I'm OK at the moment, as I cut down my original one by 4cm, but I'm bookmarking these as a future purchase. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
now is this on a thruxton 1200r
I use the same rear paddock stand on my Daytona 675 and Thruxton R and the Thruxton definitely takes more effort to lift but I wouldn't say it's difficult.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the same rear paddock stand on my Daytona 675 and Thruxton R and the Thruxton definitely takes more effort to lift but I wouldn't say it's difficult.
Ok which rear lift i should get for my theuxton 1200 and bobbins cause i’d rather clean and lube my chains myself

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not going to be popular, but get the cheapest bobbins you can find. You'll forget they are there and there's now reason to spend extra on them. I bought mine from aliexpress. I believe you need an 8mm. I think I bought this one and threw away the larger washer that's included. US $7.54 21% OFF|For Free delivery 6mm Motorcycle CNC Swingarm Sliders Spools Paddock Stand Bobbins Swing Arm For Yamaha MT09 MT 09 R1 R3 R6 R25|Covers & Ornamental Mouldings| - AliExpress

I've got the paddock stand from Harbor Freight. Cheap, lightweight. and works fine around the garage. I hang it on the wall the 99% of the time I'm not using it. It looks sharp and works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts