Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a set of unused bushings laying around in their garage they want to get rid of? I need some for my '65 Trophy. I could use that tool to drive them in and out too. Anything else I might need to do this job? Gar

Premium Member
Not sure why you are asking if someone has a set of these bushings. They are readily available from practically any vintage British bike parts supplier. Same goes for the tool. All can be bought for around $50-60 shipped. 馃榿

Registered
Anyone have a set of unused bushings laying around in their garage they want to get rid of? I need some for my '65 Trophy. I could use that tool to drive them in and out too. Anything else I might need to do this job? Gar

Hi Gar
I bought new rubber bushings for my TR7 and changed them over using two sockets and a bit of studding, unfortunately they were very soft and the bars moved a lot, ended up flipping the lower conical washer over which about halved the movement which seems ok with the bars I鈥檓 using currently.

Are you in the UK? I have a set of solid bushings on the shelf if you fancy trying those.

Premium Member
I'm well aware of that.
Sorry, my intention was not to offend. The bushing drift and new bushings are all you will need for the job. Doing the job on the bike is easy but if by chance you are doing a front end rebuild and already have the forks apart, it can be done on a bench too. I found that the tool made easy work of the task as opposed to rigging up some type of push/pull with sockets etc. Morrie's Place in Illinois sells the bushings for $12.00 each plus postage. They probably have the tool too. Baxter Cycle has the drift for $18.50 plus shipping. I looked at your bike from one of your earlier post, should be a nice ride when you get it sorted. Good luck and enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gar
I bought new rubber bushings for my TR7 and changed them over using two sockets and a bit of studding, unfortunately they were very soft and the bars moved a lot, ended up flipping the lower conical washer over which about halved the movement which seems ok with the bars I鈥檓 using currently.

Are you in the UK? I have a set of solid bushings on the shelf if you fancy trying those.
Appreciate the offer Newsh but I am in Auburn, CA. I was shocked at the movement that my bars had when I test rode my bike for the 2nd time the other day. When I take the bars off I will take a look at those washers too. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, my intention was not to offend. The bushing drift and new bushings are all you will need for the job. Doing the job on the bike is easy but if by chance you are doing a front end rebuild and already have the forks apart, it can be done on a bench too. I found that the tool made easy work of the task as apposed to rigging up some type of push/pull with sockets etc. Morrie's Place in Illinois sells the bushings for $12.00 each plus postage. They probably have the tool too. Baxter Cycle has the drift for $18.50 plus shipping. I looked at your bike from one of your earlier post, should be a nice ride when you get it sorted. Good luck and enjoy!
No worries Happyfeet....it's all good. I just thought their might be someone who had a non-returnable set laying around in their garage. Having restored a couple of cars over the years, I have a small stash of parts that I never used and cannot return. Your advice is well respected though. Appreciate the vendor info as I've never heard of Morrie's Place. I've had good luck with Steadfast and Classic British Spares out my way. Gar

Registered
Hi John,

On my Forum view, the flag of the country where a given user's registered appears below his or her user name, to the left of their posts; Gar has a US flag below "Gar's 65"; not on your Forum view?

Hth.

Regards,
Hi Stu
I鈥檓 using Tapatalk on the phone, the flag is not present and on this forum the profile doesn鈥檛 show region info.
The phrase 鈥渉anging around in their garage鈥 sounded very English though!

Premium Member
They are really cheap, and people throw the old ones away.
the tool is simply a driver that anyone with a lathe can knock up.
th dimensions to make one are in the manual

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are really cheap, and people throw the old ones away.
the tool is simply a driver that anyone with a lathe can knock up.
th dimensions to make one are in the manual
Thanks Dave. I ordered up a new set along with a washer kit that comes with new rubber, etc. A local triumph owner has the install tool, so he's going to give me a hand and get a few other things completed on the bike as well. Gar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts