Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already posted this thread under general but this may be a more appropriate area to post this query in.
I've had my ST for a month and purchased Ozynobs that fit to the front engine mounting bracket behind the side fairings.
At the first service I was advised by the mechanic not to fit them as they cause damage to the engine in the case of a get off as slow as about 30 kph.
The Triumph dealer says they have never heard of this problem. Does anyone have any experience of putting a Sprint down with these nobs fitted? Are they worth fitting to the bike?

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Brendan

I am not sure about those particular sliders.

However it is correct that there are several threads here where there has been damage to engine cases caused by crashes with frame sliders installed.

I could not tell you which brand though.

A search of this forum would probably answer your question.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I've heard that they are good in a low speed drop to minimise fairing damage. In a high speed drop your more than likely to write the bike off anyway, so does a cracked head make any difference. My $0.02 AUD worth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Sound like I probably should fit them. I got them because I have a history of dropping bikes at virtually no speed on gravel when the group I ride with pull off the road for a break or sight seeing. I want to protect the fairing in these instances. As the chef said, anything faster will be an insurance claim anyway.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've already posted this thread under general but this may be a more appropriate area to post this query in.
I've had my ST for a month and purchased Ozynobs that fit to the front engine mounting bracket behind the side fairings.
At the first service I was advised by the mechanic not to fit them as they cause damage to the engine in the case of a get off as slow as about 30 kph.
The Triumph dealer says they have never heard of this problem. Does anyone have any experience of putting a Sprint down with these nobs fitted? Are they worth fitting to the bike?
Your mechanic is right in what he says if the Ozynobs for the Sprint are the same as the ones on the Speed Triple. Based on what I have seen on their website this appears to be the case.

The problem is that the knobs stick out so far that they have a huge torque moment applied to the engine mounts which can snap them off in the event of a fall.:(

I have seen a Speed Triple snap both the engine mount and the frame mount where this type of crash knob was fitted. This rendered the bike a write off. Can't see how a Sprint would perform any better.:(

The only crash knobs I would consider for the Sprint that I have seen are the R&G knobs. They are not mounted directly onto the engine mounts but to a bracket that is mounted in two places and they also have 2 knobs on each side, it speads the load much better and is far less likely to snap engine mounts off in the event of a fall. These are properly engineered specifically for the Sprint unlike most others I have seen.

I would give a wide berth to any crash knob that mounts only to the engine mounts and sticks out a long way.

That's my 2 cents worth from an engineering perspective. :D

If there is better engineered crash knob than the R&Gs out there please bring it to our attention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took em back

Thanks Ralphus,

After much consideration I returned the sliders today and used the credit towards a ventura sports rack. (now fitted)

Kelly at Triumph reckons they should have been fine but for now I'm happy without them

Hope to see you on the road sometime.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The sliders on my K4 Gixxer mounted to the top engine mount, it was the slider shearing off at about 30 or 40mph that put a dink in the frame and wrote the bike off.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
The sliders on my K4 Gixxer mounted to the top engine mount, it was the slider shearing off at about 30 or 40mph that put a dink in the frame and wrote the bike off.

Hi Pickle Jim

I have been saying this for years now here.

Be cautious of frame mounted sliders,especially if they stick out a long way.

We have had not a few members in days gone by have similar experiences on their Sprints to your GSXR.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sound like I probably should fit them. I got them because I have a history of dropping bikes at virtually no speed on gravel when the group I ride with pull off the road for a break or sight seeing. I want to protect the fairing in these instances. As the chef said, anything faster will be an insurance claim anyway.
Man, you've either got to get shorter bikes, longer legs or a post-it note on the speedo telling you to put your feet down when you stop. :eek:

I think I might have just saved you a whole heap of money!!!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't do much about the length of my legs...
Dropped my CX 500..wife on back, when I encoutered spilled diesel approaching traffic lights in Geelong.
Dropped my ZZR when the pillion wiggled around and my right hammy tore as I tried to keep the bike up, just bad luck/fitness. Dropped my FJR with my wife on back and fully loaded.. didn't want to tear the hammy again so I just laid the bike over as gently as I could, This was due to grabbing the front brake while on gravel and checking for oncoming traffic as I joined the road.
This has happened over a period of almost 20 years so not as bad as it first sounds..but it has happened to each of the lasr 3 bikes I've owned.
The Sprint is heaps lighter than the ZZR and FJR so hopefully this wont happen again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts