Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just Purchased an Oxford oximiser 600 and have had my brand new battery on charge now for 8 hours and it still hasn't showed any of the lights indicating the condition of the battery which I presumed should show after about an hour. Is this normal for a new battery to take so long to show the condition on an oximiser or is it a connection issue?

The battery apparently came with a 75% dry charge
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,740 Posts
The battery would have come with instructions to complete the charging process with a proper battery charger. An Optimiser doesn't have the right current output so will take a long time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
789 Posts
Most motorcycle battery manufactures recommend batteries be charged at 1/10th the amp hour rating of the battery. For the end user, this means you'd ideally want a charger that outputs no higher than this rate, which (depending on the battery) is likely to be around 1 to 1.6 amps. Since the Oxford puts out about 600ma (0.6 amps or roughly half the recommended charge rate for a typical battery), it will take about twice as long to charge your battery to the same level.

Generally, a new battery takes somewhere around 4-6 hours to charge at the maximum rate, so you can realistically expect a good 12 hours to fully charge your battery with your charger....assuming the charger isn't defective. My feeling is that you should have some indication of the battery's state of charge after 8 hours, but give it a bit more time and lets see what happens.

I'm assuming your charger came with instructions. Perhaps there is a troubleshooting section that has procedures to test your charger to see if it is working properly. It could be defective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left it for 20 hours and nothing. Decided to try it with crocodile clips and it came up immediately with an indication of battery condition even before I had switched it on at the wall. Must be defective ring connectors.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top