Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've fitted some Oxford Hot Grips to an S3 '08 and been extremely pleased with them - really do the job.

Question: At the mo they are connected straight to the battery, so you have to remember to turn them off and I would like to connect them throu' the ignition - is there any easy connection I can make, picking up on one of the wires under the seat area?

·
Registered
33 Posts
hot grips

I bought the wrap around type oxford grip for my 05 s3. They have a small isolating switch in the cable run to the battery. I always turned them off here. I came back one day from a run and smelt burnt rubber. When I checked the red plastic terminal cover on the battery it had melted into black goo, with the power drain I suppose. I took them off because I was afraid if I didn't turn the isolator off my baby would go up in smoke. Check the heat transfer here after you've fitted them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the wrap around type oxford grip for my 05 s3. They have a small isolating switch in the cable run to the battery. I always turned them off here. I came back one day from a run and smelt burnt rubber. When I checked the red plastic terminal cover on the battery it had melted into black goo, with the power drain I suppose. I took them off because I was afraid if I didn't turn the isolator off my baby would go up in smoke. Check the heat transfer here after you've fitted them.
Cheers for the response - I hear what you are saying and sorry that was the case, but I've had these now for about 5 weeks and everything works fine - very impressed, but so that I don't leave them on and drain the battery, just needed to know which lead I can connect to, so that the grip turn off with the iginition?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been using the Oxfords for a couple of years now - can't believe the difference they make to winter riding. Wish I'd discovered them 20 years ago.
Most users toss a relay under the seat for the grips, and power the relay from the tail light. I don't remember the color off hand, but it should be pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have Oxford grips on my TT600 which is my winter hack. These are powered by the ignition no problem forgetting to turn off.
I did read that some one on this site put the positive lead through the rear light so that it only came live when ignition on. Best look for the post rather than take my word though. My grips were on the bike when I bought it and I must say they are far better than the Triumph ones on my ST.
Ray

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for your comments

I've been using the Oxfords for a couple of years now - can't believe the difference they make to winter riding. Wish I'd discovered them 20 years ago.
Most users toss a relay under the seat for the grips, and power the relay from the tail light. I don't remember the color off hand, but it should be pretty easy to find.
Thanks vinnyf & Raynewb - I go for the rear tail light & relay option - I'll check out the relay sp - cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts