Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the Striple riders with a belly pan on your bike.

The vent tubes under the bike that are in between the bike and the pan. Would you mind taking a look down there in the pan and see if the paint is coming up? My hoses are clipped WAY back but there still seams to be enough toxic crap getting on it that I now have a half dollar size chunk of paint missing. Anyone else getting the same results?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep. Mine is missing about 5" x 6" of paint. I think I even posted a warning about this (hoses) over a year ago, but I forget. My hoses were within about 1/2" of the pan. Plasted the paint with fuel overflow and dirty crankcase heat. I clipped the hoses back, but once the paint starts to peel off...it's a lost cause. Brace yourself because it's gonna get a LOT worse! Hoses spitting fuel and dirty crankcase sut/heat is a BAD combo on paint.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looked at mine last night - yepper - there's a "bubble" about 2" in diameter forming. I think I'll go to the hardware store and pick up a tubing coupler and section of tube (or just a longer tube to replace the whole thing if possible) to extend the tube back and below the bellypan a couple of inches so it spews directly on the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Sorry, I don't often change innocent thread titles, yet I couldn't help but take "people with bellypans" too literally every time I saw it. It's probably just me, but I was afraid I'd do myself an injury laughing at that mental image. :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. I didn't quite think that one thru LOL

Looks like I'm goint to extend the tubes to come out the cutout in the pan and line it with bedliner to stop further progression.

I figured Triumph would have found this problem and cut out a hole or something. The Daytona is open in the area so they're not gumming up their farrings...hmmm...

·
Registered
904 Posts
It probably would not even be noticeable if a 1/2" hole was drilled through the bellypan and a longer tube just routed through the hole. I'll study it a bit this weekend. I was planning on removing mine anyway to put a strip of that 3M clear film on the leading edge (to prevent rock chips) and clean it up a bit, I noticed it was collecting some grime.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine's still in great shape. It collects bugs, road grime and gravel, but the paint is intact.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A few pictures of my R in its current state of modification.

One pic from a recent 2 week camping trip to the Dragon Raid.

And some after returning home after she's been de-bagged and gold-chained.

Included here for multiple views of bellypan truckbed liner of inside & front & bottom (which is not visible)

click

·
Registered
46 Posts
My three tubes are plenty long enough to extend beyond the belly pan, had to cut the 2 that spew towards the rear by about 5cm, the one near the side stand I can thread through the belly pan 'V' cut out.

I would check your breather tubes, as I only found the extra length when i had problems with pressure when opening the fuel cap - found the hoses are quite long and had kinked themselves under the tank.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Belly pan paint

Mine is fine ? No issues that I know of and I clean and polished it often. Are these problem's being seen in all color's ? I have white.

·
Registered
904 Posts
After the cleaning:

Tubing added (I found the third tube after this photo - will get another coupling nipple later):

Belly Pan reinstalled, tubing tied together and cut so that a couple inches extends beyond the rear of the pan. The tubing is not so obvious when standing next to the bike, the camera is focused in on it here. I'll see how this works out.

While I was at it, I saw all the rock chips at the leading edge of the pan, I ordered some 3M Scotchgard clear film to fit, should be here next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts