Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Adventurer's got about 20,000 mi on it and just developed an overheating problem. The temp light comes on bright and stays on.

The fan comes on after the light, but I don't think it should be a factor when I'm moving. I've drained, replaced & bled the coolant. I removed and tested the thermostat, temp & fan switches.

The thermostat opened right about the correct temperature, the temp warn switch had the correct resistance at about the temp is was supposed to.

The fan switch is suppose to come on at 100 C. My water boiled and wouldn't get any hotter than 97, so I don't know when it opens.

I tried removing the thermostat, thinking it may not be opening all the way. The light came on about half mile down the road. The hoses were too hot to hold and the fan was on. It's not losing any coolant and nothing came out of the overflow.

All I can think of that's left is the waterpump -

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Is it overheating to the point that the coolant is boiling? Does the fan run all the time after it warms up? If not you probably have the classic temp light issue and not a problem with the cooling system....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it doesn't boil over - but then I don't go very far after the light comes on.

I considered it might be an indication problem, but after I put it all back together and rode for about 2mi tonight, the fan was running steady by the time I got home. It's never done that before.

I have had the light come on before after I've been riding a while then end up it traffic, but as soon as I started moving a little faster it's always gone out.

It is pretty hot here this week, but it's been hot before.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR WITH OUT THE THERMOSTAT!!!

Thinking that the motor will run cooler without it is a fallacy started by idiots that have no clue what they are talking about.

If the thermostat is not in place, the coolant will move through the radiator faster and not get cooled and subsequently cause it to over heat.

You say that you drained the coolant and bled the system.

Did you flush the system fully before refilling and checked/re-bled the system again after running the motor?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hadn't planned to keep the thermostat out. I do know it doesn't always run cooler without it, but my Haynes book does say you can run it without the thermost say you can run it without the thermostat in an emergency. Just figured if it was sticking or wasn't opening all the way I may notice a difference.

No, didn't flush it - but I did bleed it, run it, bleed it again, then check it again after that. I'm pretty sure I got all the air out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found my problem

I'd suspected the waterpump. I started up the engine with the cap off. The coolant was absolutely STILL. I opened up the pump and found one of the vanes broken off and sitting on the bottom of the housing.

When I bought this bike about two years ago it had 7,000 miles on it. Now it's got 20,000. I should have flushed the cooling system as soon as I bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Congrats on finding the problem and I am sure you will have it on the road in no time!:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I posted the photo of the waterpump I hadn't removed the pump yet. If the only problem was one broken vane it still would have moved some water. I was able to turn the pump by hand, which I shouldn't have been able to do. Here's a photo of he shaft.

Next job is an unschedule oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Just consider yourself lucky you didn't warp anything. Imagine this happening out in the middle of nowhere! Whenever something like this happens, I am always aware that it usually could have been much worse, and I thank my stars that it wasn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts