Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was riding my T'bird today. It's probably on it's first 200 miles with me as the owner. I changed the coolant amongst other service items.......anyway, I was in heavy traffic, and I noticed the coolant light flicker on and then stop on. I stopped immediately, and could see the fan was on and working, after about 30 seconds with the engine still running and the bike stationary, the light went off and stayed off........any ideas as to why? I was thinking maybe an air bubble was trapped and moved?.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could be the fan or temperature sensor/fan switch.

You can jump the wires coming from the sensor. If the fan comes on the problem is the sensor/switch. If the fan doesn't come on, the fan motor is most likely fried.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Could have been an air bubble. Also, there is a service bulletin about providing a separate ground path for the temperature sensor circuit to prevent false indications. Search here for more info. Lastly, there is a fan switch available that comes on earlier than stock. If your fan comes on rarely you could probably benefit from that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. I'll run it up to see when the fan comes on and look there. I'll also have a look at the earth grounding.

Thanks

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Did you open the bleed screw when you refilled? It's probably a good idea to open it also after the bike has been run up to temperature for the first time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
its the first sunny day this year so took the bike on a 50 mile run,on stoping fo a rest i noticed some coolant driping from expansion tank.the fan stayed running for 20/30 seconds and then shut off.But i got no warning light on.I also recently just done a coolant change.Is it just some traped air or do they all run hot in traffic

·
Registered
34 Posts
just had the tank of and coolant up to the bleed screw but expansion tank is on minimum.Is this its way of it finding its own level or have i got some other problem thanks i.e fan coming in to late

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Fan coming on in traffic is normal - the cooling system struggles a bit when little or no airflow into the rad. You should not see the warning light as that comes on about 5 C higher than the fan. IMO the temp is kept more stable (& lower) if the fan comes on a few degrees sooner - see the Maintenance section for the alternative fan switch.

I think I'm right in saying the system will draw in coolant from the expansion tank if there's a small amount of air in the block after a refill. So, your fill sounds ok to me. A larger air lock could be an issue, definitely if it's enough to empty the expansion tank as that will expose the system feed pipe in there to atmospheric air.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
just had the tank of and coolant up to the bleed screw but expansion tank is on minimum.Is this its way of it finding its own level or have i got some other problem thanks i.e fan coming in to late
It will find it's own normal level. For instance I fill mine every spring (expansion tank) and after a month or two of riding it will push out what it doesn't want, just under the minimum line. Others have reported similar...:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
just an update on overheating,checked level,just under minimum,took on ride through traffic the fan come on and off 2 or 3 times over 45 min, no signs of coolant leak and when hot sits on the maximun line.The bike has now cooled down and is back just under the minimum.Thanks to every one that has gave me advice on this issue.Triumph defiantly knows how to scare the life out of u thanks again

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the earth conversion this weekend. Snipped as per instructions, and ran it to one of the coil mounting bolts. Works perfectly, no more warning lights flashing or in sinc with the indicators.

Thanks for the info

Rob

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'll find you the link later.........basically it is a bad earth. On the bike loom, just where the clocks plug in, you need to snip the black/yellow wire and add an extended wire to re-earth it.

Rob

Temp Light Fix
This repair is to eliminate intermittent temperature light flashes on carbureted bikes.
Classic Bikes
(Adventurer, Legend TT, Thunderbird, Thunderbird Sport)
1. Remove the headlight. Inside you will find the instrument assemblies harness plug. There are two black wires. One at pin location 2 and one at location 9.
2. Locate the black wire at pin 2 (arrowed). On the MAIN harness side, cut the wire.
3. The wire end that runs down the main harness just gets taped into the main harness and is left alone.
4. Now, just create a separate ground for the wire end that runs through the plug and into the instrument assy. This needs to be completely separate and directly to a location on the frame.
Clip
Note. Wire at Pin 1 is Blue / Yellow
Pin 3 has no wire fitted.
This is the face of the harness side plug, clip on top, wires coming out of the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts