Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 Rocket lll Touring a week and a half ago and now have about 200 miles on it (it has rained alot in that time). I rode it the other day for about 60 miles and when I stopped I caught a faint smell of antifreeze, but noticed nothing unusual. When I got home I parked it in the garage and took some stuff in the house. I had just riden country roads to get home with no stop and go driving, and it was about 69 degrees. When I went back out in the garage I noticed that coolant when coming out of the overflow hose from the radiator overflow reservoir. It was approx. 8-10 oz. After the engine had cooled, I looked at the coolant level in the overflow reservoir and it was down towards the bottom of the tank, well below the "minimum" level. I was concerned so I called the local shop and they explained that that was normal and to keep riding it. I checked the radiator and it was full. So I added the 50/50 coolant mix to the overflow reservoir until it was again half way between the maximum and minimum lines. I ran the engine again for a while and then shut it off and the bike again leaked coolant onto the ground. Is this a design flaw or normal operation? At this rate I would have to refill the overflow reservoir and clean up a mess on the floor each time I ride the bike. And this is without the heat of summer. Once the bike cools down it appears that there is not much coolant left in the overflow reservoir to draw from to refill the radiator in case of coolant loss. Has anyone encountered this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Is this a design flaw or normal operation?
Neither. It's a bad part.

If you are not getting any water over-temperature indications at any time while the bike is running, it is almost certainly what Doug said. There could also be a slight chance that the cooling fan is frozen or otherwise not operating when needed, but that would usually show up in low-speed riding or when idling.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Normal ???

You might also want to check into finding a new shop for service and service related questions. 'Cause that type of leaking isn't normal.

Cheers !!!

·
Banned
557 Posts
In your original, I didn't see a mention of the fan starting and turning off. The only overflow issue I have experienced came after a service visit when the tech failed to reinstall the very small control wire for the fan. Pretty simple to check, let the bike idle for a few minutes and it should come on wouldn't go over seven to ten minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coolant Loss

I had a loss of coolant also but mine was from pinched o-ring seal
took to the dealer and they replaced for free; make sure you know for a fact it's coming from overflow ;you could be having the same problem as i had.
preacher,
jch1hellfighter

·
Registered
26 Posts
You said it was coming out of the overflow pipe. this should not happen the overflow is sealed up to the reservoir. I had a small nick on the back of the overflow pipe that allowed coolant to leak. Put a pair of mole grips on the pipe close to the ooutlet from the reservoir but not so close that you crimp the connection. Release the hose clip from the radiator connection. Pull off the hose and check it for cuts or nicks just in way of where it entered onto the radiator connection. if there is a nick you shoulod have enough spare hose to crop the pipe upstream from the nick and reconnect it. Release the molegrips and away you go

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too had a similar incident when after a long ride the overflow tube spewed antifreeze under the Rocket all the way to the rear tire. I brought it in and they pressure checked the entire system. They only had to add a few ounces to top it off. They said this occasionally happens and will not continue. It has never happened again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Overflowing engine coolant

Had the indentical problem today in around 90 degree weather...This shouldn't be normal operation in my opinion...Only lost a few ounces, but I'll check the radiator cap and refill, and see what happens.....Larry P.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
As we said when this thread was originally alive a year ago... no, it's not normal, you've got a problem. Check out the items suggested previously.

And don't top up the reservoir when you get done with your work...only halfway or a little less. It's intended to be an overflow for normal expansion and contraction, so if you fill it all the way when the engine is cold, then it WILL overflow in normal operation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You should also check the fan. I had a problem were it would work for a while and then blow the fuse. After I replaced the fuse it would work for a short time and then I would see the puddle under the bike. Triumph replaced it under warranty.
Trapper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.