Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see this topic directly 100% addressed, so apologies if its been covered fully elsewhere already...this previous thread in this forum actually shows that even the Givi cases/bags are not compatible (without mods) and shows the difference between the Triumph rack and the Givi one with two different notches...https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/givi-trekker-outback-pannier-compatibility.983094/. Dang...even less choices out-of-the-box than I thought.

Prior to seeing this forum (and that thread), I was so excited to get my new 2022 Tiger 900 that I ordered the OEM side pannier racks from the dealer without doing enough research. I only got as far in my research as realizing that Givi was the maker of the OEM Triumph racks, and saw that Givi had a "bunch" of bags that fit (also not true). Then I got the racks on the bike and realized I didn't really want Triumph (or Givi) hard cases for a few reasons that aren't that important. Even if the Givi soft cases could use these Triumph quick-connects (which now seems they can't, at least without mods), the Givi bags are expensive and maybe also not what I wanted either. I also stupidly assumed other bag manufacturers would also be putting out "compatible" clamps to fit the Triumph PL-Cam rack (or the Givi one), but that really, really doesn't appear to be the case (no pun intended). I'm also don't think Triumph makes soft bags that can use their tabbed connection (you can use them with straps, which is not what I wanted).

Deep breath, long paragraph above. Apologies.

After that realization a few months ago, I "thought" I had then found someone who was making adapter plates that could fit into the Triumph PL-cam cams (or maybe the Givi ones), but now i can't find the video nor anything online either. It's possible I made that up or was confused.

Is there anyone who is smarter than I am (lots I'm sure) and has found a solution to either adapt other brands quick-connects to these cam-style OEM racks, or know if I can take the Triumph cams off and then adapt with someone else's system? I was really hoping the SW-Motech or similar range of bags could be adapted without the obvious usage of straps, etc. I'd like to be able to take advantage of the quick-connects and take them on and off easily, and it would be awesome if I could switch between hard and soft bags as the trip needs change.

At the moment I'm wondering if I just take the racks off and go with some else's solution and new racks. Filing the Triumph rack nubs is also an option it seems, but then might only "open" the ability to use the Givi branded bags, which again I'm not sure are what I want. And does that eliminate my ability to use Triumph cases if I chose that later?

Thanks in advance for your brainpower. I should have researched this better before firing up the Triumph racks.

Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
79 Posts
Honestly, it might be worth it to just sell the carriers. Especially if you are considering soft bags and will not use bags most of the time. Find the part number for OEM racks and then you’ll find the instructions on how to install them. I do not know if you are missing OEM hardware, though (if yours were dealer installed).

I went with Hepco & Becker C-bow carriers. I ride mostly with no side bags but have my black Expedition case on all the time. I love that C-bow carriers do not look like a huge scaffold on my bike at all time. And the system gave me enough space to go for a week 2500 mile ride last year with side bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I filed that nub off 5000 miles ago to make fit the Givi hard bags.
It works for me.

View attachment 774261 View attachment 774261
Thank you for confirming that works for the Givi hard cases. It does seem to simply be designed as a deterrent to using non-Triumph-branded cases and nothing more...not part of what structurally holds the cases on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, it might be worth it to just sell the carriers. Especially if you are considering soft bags and will not use bags most of the time. Find the part number for OEM racks and then you’ll find the instructions on how to install them. I do not know if you are missing OEM hardware, though (if yours were dealer installed).

I went with Hepco & Becker C-bow carriers. I ride mostly with no side bags but have my black Expedition case on all the time. I love that C-bow carriers do not look like a huge scaffold on my bike at all time. And the system gave me enough space to go for a week 2500 mile ride last year with side bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the info. I did the rack install so I'm sure I have all the parts (at least I didn't have any left over when I finished!). I will check out the H&B ones as that brand was one of the recommended ones my dealer suggested I look at for a different bike I own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Triumph pannier racks on my bike and use Givi Canyon soft panniers. No problem whatsoever.

Here you see the Givi mounting plate on the Triumph rack.

View attachment 774283
First, your bike looks amazing. Is that a full wrap or partial decals? Absolutely love it.

Secondly, thank you for this and the photo--I saw the plate when researching the Givi soft bags...it is not a separate kit, it's part of the bag package, yes? And this is attached to your rack "permanently" and stays on with hardware, not "quick connected," correct? Then the bag quick-connects to that plate?

In the US anyway, Givi seems to have this particular mount only on the GRT709 35LTR SADDLEBAGS, not on the 25L "Canyon" ones. Do you have the 35L ones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, your bike looks amazing. Is that a full wrap or partial decals? Absolutely love it.

Secondly, thank you for this and the photo--I saw the plate when researching the Givi soft bags...it is not a separate kit, it's part of the bag package, yes? And this is attached to your rack "permanently" and stays on with hardware, not "quick connected," correct? Then the bag quick-connects to that plate?

In the US anyway, Givi seems to have this particular mount only on the GRT709 35LTR SADDLEBAGS, not on the 25L "Canyon" ones. Do you have the 35L ones?
Replying to myself, found some videos that show how the plate gets attached...it's "permanently" attached via their hardware it seems. I was hopeful that wasn't the case, but obviously it works well for those bags and makes the bags themselves "quick connect." Thanks again for replying.

·
Registered
177 Posts
AFAIK, Givi sells the racks, in several forms, but they differer in the attachment hardware. Those parts can be purchased separately. Any chance that the Givi parts could be used to edit the Triumph racks? The various knobs and tabs are all bolted on and can be removed or replaced or changed. Scroll down on this page. I have the Givi racks with the rapid release kit, so the whole rack comes off in less than a minute.

Givi Pannier PLO6415MK for Triumph Tiger 850 Sport

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AFAIK, Givi sells the racks, in several forms, but they differer in the attachment hardware. Those parts can be purchased separately. Any chance that the Givi parts could be used to edit the Triumph racks? The various knobs and tabs are all bolted on and can be removed or replaced or changed. Scroll down on this page. I have the Givi racks with the rapid release kit, so the whole rack comes off in less than a minute.

Givi Pannier PLO6415MK for Triumph Tiger 850 Sport
They do sell racks, you are right. The first thread I referenced in the initial post implies that the hardware for the Triumph cases (from the Triumph racks themselves?) can be added to the Givi racks so that the Triumph cases can mate to those (and shows him doing it in the video), but the last line below the video implies you cannot do the opposite (and I don't know why, because as you state you appear to be able to buy the pieces from Givi--just don't know why they won't connect). Filing off the Triumph tab seems to be a pretty straight-forward option for the Triumph racks to use the Givi cases, confirmed by at least a couple folks. The solution you bought seems great and maybe what I would have gone with vs. buying the Triumph ones...thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
Triumph Tiger 900GT
124 Posts

They are just decals that I bought and cut to size. Yes, the plate is a permanent fixture. Can’t see the point of unbolting them and taking them off. I have the 35l bags. Good product!

·
Registered
177 Posts
@Parsons
Oh well. Just thought I'd see if we could find a way to make this work for you. Getting luggage and accessories to play with each other is a real pain. I've always liked the interchangeability of the Givi stuff, and if you can 'persuade' the Triumph racks to take Givi boxes, with only a bit of minor surgery, that is an excellent option.

After all, there are a lot of ways to spend money on motorcycle stuff, so anything we can do to lessen the costs is a good thing.

Reactions: Parsons

·
Registered
2020 Tiger 900 GT Pro
11 Posts
If you are looking for soft panniers that use a quick attachment mechanism and are compatible with the Triumph (Givi) racks, it appears that Mosko Moto Backcountry bags might work. They show a mounting plate that fastens to the Triumph (Givi) rack after you remove the stock top cam bar and the 2 bottom buttons. The Mosko bags then quick attach to the mounting plate.
I say "might work" because I haven't actually done this yet but a Mosko page shows this:
I also have the Triumph Explorer panniers and I'm thinking I want a soft bag option. A phone call to Mosko Moto would confirm or deny the fitment question.

·
Premium Member
Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC 2019
17 Posts
I have Mosko Outback’s 35L mounted on my 1200xc. The bags come off the rack with easy, however there is a mounting plate that stays on the rack. They are not at all like the SW-Motech I had on my GS. They do look very much like the Givi mount. I still like the Mosko much more than the SW-Mothech. See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have Mosko Outback’s 35L mounted on my 1200xc. The bags come off the rack with easy, however there is a mounting plate that stays on the rack. They are not at all like the SW-Motech I had on my GS. They do look very much like the Givi mount. I still like the Mosko much more than the SW-Mothech. See pic.
Mosko is on my very short list of soft bags. I'm really liking the look and features of the Scout 2.0...smaller than some would need, but probably more in the range of what I'm looking for flexibilty-wise. Everyone seems to really rate the Moskos highly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts