Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just fitted new pilot 2 110/80 and 150/70 to my 08 efi Thrux at 5000ks with steering dampner, bike tracked straight and true with standed tyres just lacked solid feel with the front in corners. Since fitting p2 tyres now have good grip and feel in corners but in a staight line from 80kph upwards bike has a slight waver or nervous feel to it , slight wobble tending towards the front end. Had only heard good things about this tyre combination and fit here and elsewhere, now just a little dissapointed,interested to hear any comments or advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the same tires, but it just may be that you need to get used to them. how old/flat were the old tires when you ditched em?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Original tyres were about half worn, the front was wearing faster ,I push it through the corners so was after more grip. May experiment some more, take off steering dampner,try old front tyre again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Road 2s

I've got them on, and I've been pretty vocal about how much I like them.

I have noticed a small amount of movement, but didn't really put it down to the rubber. I changed out of the stock jobs at about 400km, and as I was still running in I guess I've 'grown up' with it like that.

It's not disconcerting in any way as I ride reasonably hard and am very happy with the way the front feels. I guess I'd describe it as a slow/gentle weave as weight is moving off the front, can't say I've ever felt it under brakes.

You obviously feel it through the dampner, does adjusting that make any difference to handling? [other than the obvious effort to steer]

My riding buddy's also got a road2 [120] on the front of his 600SS, I've ridden that and it doesn't seem to have the same movement as my thrux.

I'd be very interested to know if changing the front back to your old hoop resolves it.

Someone more experienced in these things than me will surely add something to enlighten us!.......
Anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
:) Interesting thread as I know a rider with an 07 that is buying Carrazzeria rims and these same tires for his Thrux...I will follow that to see how his handles...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the NH steering dampener has a dramatic effect with standard tyres, really stabilized bike on highway and sweeping fast corners, but then showed up the lack of feel and grip of the front lasertec even more so.
Put p2 radials on, a big difference , now feels more planted in all cornering, even handles bumps better with standard suspension [new shocks are next]
But on a reasonably smooth road or motorway
the bike continually moves arround,the steering dampener doesn"t seem to have much effect with these tyres, will try with it off tomorrow, then put the original lasertec back on ,to try and track down this disconcerting weave.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I just did the 150/70-17 on my rear . Works fine but it's almost impossible to use all the rear tire for some reason .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sprso

Just got back from a 100k ride through the hills here on the Goldcoast,great place to ride.

With dampener removed,bike feels alot better now,only a slight weave occasionally and settles quicker, am happier so for now dampener stays off.

With my experience it was great with standard tyre crossply - radial combination,really improved things but with upgraded radials fitted the dampener seemed to give to much feedback.[min or max setting] can"t explain it maybe I"m to sensitive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
might send a few PMs around to some radial owners

Sounds interesting, you're now probably are getting the same small movement that I get. I assume then if it was way worse with the dampner on it would indeed be disconcerting.

Is it possibly why the stock setup is ply/radial [which seems so wrong in theory]

There's a few people with other brands of radials on the front, Can someone comment? Lets see if we can get some idea if it occurs with Avons and Continentals etc.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've got almost 14K on my stock set and they're finally showing me signs they'd like to be replaced. Coming from a zero-knowledge background on bikes and tires this thread made me poo a little.

Is there a 'tires for dummies' reference out there?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
roxythrux

When the shifter is scraping on the road you're almost there :D :D
It's the way the tire's on the rim actually . I tend to drag my pegs at times and the tire wear goes only down to the lettering on the edge of the tire . Think if I had a 4 1/2 inch rim it would work fine . A 150 is kinda pushing it in the stock rim.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Have just fitted new pilot 2 110/80 and 150/70 to my 08 efi Thrux at 5000ks with steering dampner, bike tracked straight and true with standed tyres just lacked solid feel with the front in corners. Since fitting p2 tyres now have good grip and feel in corners but in a staight line from 80kph upwards bike has a slight waver or nervous feel to it , slight wobble tending towards the front end. Had only heard good things about this tyre combination and fit here and elsewhere, now just a little dissapointed,interested to hear any comments or advice.
Tull,

Did you try changing the tire pressures? I had to play with the stock ones for a while until I found what worked best (for me)...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tull,

Did you try changing the tire pressures? I had to play with the stock ones for a while until I found what worked best (for me)...
RumRunner, tyre shop originally set at 37 front and rear , I tried 30 front and 37 rear, now 32 -36 , I took it back, shop checked all the usual things, wheel runout, wheel alighnment, swingarm,, steeringhead etc ,all ok, still have a slight wobble on the freeway. [mystery]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts