Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sure I saw a post on here About excessive backfire on Decel ,but can't seem to find it now. Anyway I have TOR exhaust with the TOR tune installed from the dealer. The TOR pipes where installed on the bike when I purchased it. The problem is there was a very bad back fire on deceleration. Even after having the valves adjusted which where out quite a bit.
I recently ordered the Dealertune cable and software to check throttle body balance. They where not in Balance and now that they are balanced the Overrun Back fire is Gone other than a little burble.

Just thought I would pass that on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Over run Backfire part 2

So After the Throttle Balance was complete there was still some minor overrun popping. Throttle Balance cured 90% .
TPS was out just a bit. Service Manual says .59v +- .02v
Mine was set at .68v . after that was corrected to .59 I would say 98% cured with only the odd pop. I can live with that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Even with the TOR tune, it's still too lean. I added 5% to the fueling map (with TuneECU) and it made a big difference in reduction of decel popping.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Anybody can install TuneECU ? Not just the dealer ?

JJ
Yes, it's a free app not sanctioned by triumph made by a tech savvy guy who is not affiliated in any way with triumph. triumph used a app called dealer tool, not tuneecu. However, somewhere around i think 2015 triumph started using ECU's in all models that will lock up and become inoperable if you connect tuneecu to it. So if you want to try it be sure your bike is on the good list. Go to tuneecu.com to check. You also need a cable to use it. That info is on the site too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks TorqueBird.
I'm pretty happy with my tune. Stock air cleaner,Cat removed,TOR tune. I think you would call it TOR tune. It's the "competition,off road tune that the dealer can do.
I get one gunshot backfire if I run her hard and turn off the throttle to coast to a slower speed. One time it goes bang.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
The Android version of TuneECU will connect to the LT and Commander with bluetooth but you can’t write or read maps.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Popping on decel is caused by a lean condition. The O2 sensors tend to lean out more at closed throttle. We addressed this on the Rocket with cat delete and TORs before Tuneboy or TuneECU came out by installing the O2 eliminator plugs that Dynojet sold with PCIIIs. Now they don’t provide them with Power Commanders because of EPA regs. However you can get them on ebay for about $25 plus shipping from the UK for the standard TBirds, which probably also fit the LT and Commander. I got these (made by Redline Superbikes) for my T120 and they work. The O2 sensor/closed loop thing is totally unnecessary and is only there for fuel efficiency. If you are tuning a PCV, you don’t want the ECU in closed loop.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Can you perform the Adaptation Reset process either with the DealerTune/TuneECU or via the startup without touching throttle from cold and let it idle to 10-15 minutes before touching throttle? This seems to allow the ECU to clear out stored fueling settings generated while riding around. Important after making exhaust/intake and other mods so the bike can re-learn the base settings again.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Can you perform the Adaptation Reset process either with the DealerTune/TuneECU or via the startup without touching throttle from cold and let it idle to 10-15 minutes before touching throttle? This seems to allow the ECU to clear out stored fueling settings generated while riding around. Important after making exhaust/intake and other mods so the bike can re-learn the base settings again.
Reset adapt takes it to factory defaults. Then doing the 12 minute tune adapts the idle to ambient temperature and pressure. The bike will adapt on its own while riding. None of this will compensate for significant changes to the intake or exhaust under load. Tuneecu is free (if you have a standard TBird) - just get a Lonelec cable. I have Dealertool but don’t know if it does reset adapt, particularly for an LT or Commander.

PS: There’s no reset adapt in my Dealertool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts