Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I thought I was having the bad ground wire issue with my 02 T-Bird. It's spring and cool out here in the north east USA. The hot light would come on, then go off. Then it would come back on when I put my blinker on and it would blinkk with it, but the other day (temp about 72 degrees out), the light came on then the fan came on and stayed on for about 5 minutes after I had shut the bike off, (I was home and had just parked it). I'm planning on bringing it to the triumph dealer next week. Do you all think this is the best thing to do? Or are there some things I should try first? Ron.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Hi All. I thought I was having the bad ground wire issue with my 02 T-Bird. It's spring and cool out here in the north east USA. The hot light would come on, then go off. Then it would come back on when I put my blinker on and it would blinkk with it, but the other day (temp about 72 degrees out), the light came on then the fan came on and stayed on for about 5 minutes after I had shut the bike off, (I was home and had just parked it). I'm planning on bringing it to the triumph dealer next week. Do you all think this is the best thing to do? Or are there some things I should try first? Ron.
Try changing the coolant & give the system a good flush thru' with a hose, you'll be amazed at what comes out.

And, of course, it's possible the pressure cap is faulty.

Mike

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
More electrical than hot !

Check all the electrical connections, especially the earth ones, in respect to the water temperature sender unit/warning light. Sounds like a bad earth fault.
Rarely do our machines overheat, it is normal for the fan to stay on whilst the ignition is off for about a minute, when hot engine is detected, in the case you have described, I would not imagine the engine getting to that temperature. Wiring appears to be the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Check all the electrical connections, especially the earth ones, in respect to the water temperature sender unit/warning light. Sounds like a bad earth fault.
Rarely do our machines overheat, it is normal for the fan to stay on whilst the ignition is off for about a minute, when hot engine is detected, in the case you have described, I would not imagine the engine getting to that temperature. Wiring appears to be the problem.
Note tho' that the fan & warning light circuits are entirely separate. I have a temp gauge on mine & the only time the temp rises above normal is running at standstill or nearly standstill in traffic for a few minutes. If that's not the circumstances occurring just before you get home with the fan running, either the fan switch is coming in too early or you do have an underperforming cooling system.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts