Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had my front tire replaced due to some light cracking inbetween the treads. I had limited my rides to lower speed jaunts around town and to work and back till I could get the tire replaced. Needless to say as soon as I left the dealership I figured I'd hit the interstate and open her up a bit. Well, about ten miles down the road my legend started to bog down and eventually die. Not exactly the type of fun I had in mind. After sitting on the side of the road checking for a catastrophic failure of some kind I started the bike back up and made it another mile to the closest station. It pretty much died again as I rolled into the parking lot. Seeing as the bike wasn't overheating or out of oil or gas I took back roads home with intermittent stops. To sum it up, apparently an in line fuel filter I had installed last year had become partially clogged and the fuel flow couldn't keep up with my carbs. So when I got home I got some more practice pulling my carbs out to run a straight line from the tank to the fuel rail. From now on I think I'll just stick with that damn duckbill filter. Btw the new tire is a 17" Conti-motion. So far it seems like a good tire. And for 170.00 installed I figured the price wasn't too bad either.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I think I'd be worried about how that filter got clogged....

If "stuff" was getting past the filter in the the tank and clogging up the inline filter between the tank and the carburetors then by removing the inline filter you just opened the door to allow "stuff" to get into your carburetors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put a in line filter in,but did not chop into original fuel hose so if i get a problem i can just take filter out and get home,also i put a filter in that u can take apart and clean so no servicing cost,much easier then striping carbs

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I once made the mistake of installing an inline filter from a car shop, it just looked like the regular paper filter in a clear plastic housing. Unfortunately the filter was intended for a pressurised system, not a gravity feed.

It took me a lot of head scratching before I figured out why I kept running out of fuel with half a tank left. With a full tank the weight of fuel was enough to push it past the filter. When the fuel got lower, no flow.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Fuel Filter

It's great to see that the filter did what it was designed to do, stop small particles of grit entering the carbs.
Most of these small additional filters are see through and it is quite easy to site a potential problem when taking a look at them occasionally. I have had one fitted for 18,000 miles on the TBS with no problems and no sign that crap is entering the filter.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
It took me a lot of head scratching before I figured out why I kept running out of fuel with half a tank left. With a full tank the weight of fuel was enough to push it past the filter. When the fuel got lower, no flow.
You are not the first, and you won't be the last...

I have had one fitted for 18,000 miles on the TBS with no problems and no sign that crap is entering the filter.
So, if you don't need it, it works fine, and if you need it it won't work? ;)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Correct

You are not the first, and you won't be the last...

So, if you don't need it, it works fine, and if you need it it won't work? ;)
Bit like life insurance methinks?

But then, I am only looking with a pair of 60 year old eyes, maybe with a glass those small portions of sediment may/may not be seen swimming around in the filter housing.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If you didn't see any actual debris in the filter, I'd check to be sure the intake and exit tubes of the filter itself hadn't deformed from ethanol. When I switched out my inline filter last spring, these had softened and stretched to the point that they looked like some of those old gnarly teats that we used to look at in National Geographic.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I also run an inline clear fuel filter pretty cheap insurance I think. Also when I change it out I will save the old one and when it dries out I crack it open and run a small magnet across the particles to see if any of it is rust. You would be amazed at all of the small particles that the filter catches.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The inline filter I removed had a conical pourus brass element in it that may have been restricting the fuel flow anyway. As for gas I'm lucky to have a station that sells non ethanol in 87 & 91 octane which is what I run in all my vehicles. I did discover my carb rubbers are beginning to crack so I'll need to replace them soon. They haven't cracked through but this will probably be their last season. Anyway Im not too worried about fuel contaminants since the new pingel fuel tap I installed has a pretty nice filter on it and I have good fuel flow now. I may try switching to pod filters or ditch the rear half of my airbox while I'm at it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts