Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After returning from a three day ride, I was doing a bit of cleaning and minor maintenance. I notice a LOT of grime below the front sprocket cover. WOW, was there a mess on the inside of the cover, a black paste. Now this isn't something new, I've seen it before, just accumulated road crap. I use WD40 and/or kerosene to clean off the chain and DuPont MultiPurpose Teflon lubricant to lube the chain.

Where I'm going with this is there might be a bit of oil leakage from the output shaft seal which I will confirm now that I've cleaned off the crud. Anyone replaced that seal???? It looks like you just pull it out and put in a new one. Can anyone confirm that?

I have replaced one on a 955 Sprint but that was a long time ago and I don't recall it being a major mechanical excise.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Devil, I KNOW I don't have a seal leak, and I have the same crud in there, because I use the same clean/lube method and product as you.

I don't think it's going to be a bother.

Mick

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Devil, I KNOW I don't have a seal leak, and I have the same crud in there, because I use the same clean/lube method and product as you.

I don't think it's going to be a bother.

Mick
I cleaned that puppy for over an hour, taking off the sprocket, chain, etc, etc. Went for a two hour ride and there was still paste in there. I have since cleaned it some more blasting it with cans of carb cleaner. We'll see on the next run, but I'm pretty sure that if I have a leak, it isn't enough to worry about. What I do have is a paste of grime and oil which sounds like chain lube and road grime. I could not find clean or free running oil anywhere. Ya know, with x ring chains I'm not all that sure that a lot of chain lubing is a good thing.

Thanks, Mick
rod

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Ah, if you use Carb cleaner on anything rubber, it may just eat it away.... I used it on a small dirt bike's Mikuni carb and it ate the o-rings.....

Better off using just kerosene and a paint brush with a dose of water from the hose, clean the chain as best you can and check for any free running oil after that.

I wouldn't worry too much though, unless you use a litre of oil on each outing!

Mick

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, if you use Carb cleaner on anything rubber, it may just eat it away.... I used it on a small dirt bike's Mikuni carb and it ate the o-rings.....

Better off using just kerosene and a paint brush with a dose of water from the hose, clean the chain as best you can and check for any free running oil after that.

I wouldn't worry too much though, unless you use a litre of oil on each outing!

Mick
Yep, I'm familiar with the damage both carb and brake cleaners can do. Only rubber in the area were the drain hoses which I'm not all that worried about. Stuffed rags into the area and used that plastic hose on the can to get into nooks and crannies that my toothbrushs wouldn't fit into. I was a bit low on oil but I'm coming up on oil change time too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
just pull the seal out and put a new one in.... some people have drilled a small hole in the face of the seal, inserted a sheet metal screw, and pulled on the screw. I used a punch, and dented in the face of the seal in a few spots, then the opposite side of the seal pops out enough to grab it with a pair of pliers. Comes right out.

A socket / PVC pipe of an appropriate diameter can help you seat the seal in place again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished mine. After pulling it, I'm pretty sure it didn't need to be replaced. Just too much chain lube with associated grime build up. In theory DuPont Multi-Purpose Teflon lubricant should not pick up dirt like it did. I'm going to try some others and see how they do.

·
Registered
435 Posts
mine was leaking for sure.... the tell was when you take the sprocket cover off, it was engine oil in the gap between the engine and the cover. I would clean that out, and a few days later there was more. Very different smell and consistency than the chain lube.

The trick to those dry lubes - you put them on after you ride, and let them dry overnight or longer. I only use them every 500-1000 miles.

You might try this stuff - it's a dry lube, with a heavier carrier - feels a bit more waxy than the dupont, doesn't build up, flows in much better (it's thicker), and won't fling once dry.

Used to be branded under the honda label as a honda chain lube.

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/origcnlube.html

It's good for not building up and being dry to the touch once it dries up. Might give this a shot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=317

Found this in Oz but it's a push bike product... non aerosol -- not sure how it would go on. :)

Any thoughts on something like this with a rag?

Chris
They actually make the DuPont stuff in a non-aerosol bottle too. I bought one once but that little bottle is empty in a heart beat. Also, after a nice long ride with everything all nice and clean I found the true culprit to be the neutral switch was leaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts