Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved "Black Betty" is being picked up tomorrow by a nice young fellow who is esactic to be the new owner. I am have come to the conclusion "Father Time" has won this round. Both knees are riddled with arthritis and the pain and lack of mobility has reached a point where the riding position is just not feasible or safe. For some unknown reason this winter has been especially cruel to both the Wife and I concerning age related maladies. I have always loved the look of the Thunderbird Sport, best lines on a motorcycle Triumph ever produced and this one I had really dialed in for my personal tastes. I again thank the member of this forum I originally purchased the bike from, it has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I also want to thank all here who step up to give advice, input, praise, or have the gumption to say that looks like crap. Sadly I have to admit, my Sport riding days are over, but I will continue to carry on with rest of my small herd. The rides may be shorter, more pain filled, but dammit they still make make smile. I will check in from time to time to see how you guys are doing and there are other darn pretty Hinckley Triples out there, so you never know, but I will miss this motorcycle.........

DSC03702.JPG

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I’m sorry you had to part with that beautiful bike, but it sounds like it‘s the right thing to do. Good luck finding something else that you enjoy as much. We’ll all be in the same position at some point.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Yea, this getting old business kind of sucks. "Not for sissies" as the saying goes. Sounds like you have some other bikes that are more comfortable. Lucky (and smart) you.
I got my 3 wheel endorsement last summer in anticipation of needing to switch to a Can-Am. I'll hold out for another year or two, but my riding time is winding down.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I should point out that the only reason I sold it to George was the same one; I just couldn't be comfortable on it. I was able to enjoy it for the better part of 6 years. I hope the new owner appreciates it, and gets a little more time on it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Alas, it will happen to all of us eventually. I've been living with what I thought were bad knees that is actually nerve impingement at the base of my spine. I've been doing some of the P.T. I had and take glucosamine chondroitin and even learned some Tai Chi. I've got a thing called "drop foot" on my left leg as well but it doesn't affect riding and isn't painful.
I just hope when the time comes, I'll recognize it and will be ready to let it go. I've already put peg lowering on my TBS which helps. I've only had mine just a year and really enjoy it. The thought of having to give it up pains me. I also have a couple more upright bikes with less knee bend.
I'm glad for you that your riding days aren't completely over.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That was a gorgeous bike!
Sorry to hear as well. We are getting up there aren't we, darn it.
Stay in touch with us and let us know what's in the rest of the herd you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts