Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in CA, and a local salesman said I can't buy a street triple from a dealer out of state and register it in CA.

Why is that? Can't be emissions...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I am a certified cynic, and I am not a 'Mercan, but my guess would be concentrated more on sales taxes and alike.

H

·
0 Posts
CAFE standards seem to have been met by all Triumph models in the state of California. You might try another dealer just to make sure this one isn't trying to bend you over so to speak. Or simply pull up state regs.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
CAFE standards seem to have been met by all Triumph models in the state of California. You might try another dealer just to make sure this one isn't trying to bend you over so to speak. Or simply pull up state regs.
Must agree with HAP. Also check the California Division of Motor Vehicle web site for more info on out state vehicle buying and then registering in state. Some times and in some cases I think you can take it to a California Highway Patrol/Motor Vehicle Referee and get an exemption.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm

I do know though as of 1 1 2013 exhaust standards get more strict for all motorcycles and off road vehicles. If you are living in California and own a vintage bike pre 1971 I thin k it is still in building the rules on exhaust are about to change.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I think this came up recently on this forum. Something about CA state law not allowing the import of bikes to CA unless they have a certain number of miles on them? I don't know. The dealer is probably right, crazier things have happened in CA.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I looked into this some years ago and it was more or less true that you couldn't buy a new vehicle out of state and bring it in. It had to have at least 7500 miles on it as I recall.

I suspect the primary reason was taxes.

I have bought used vehicles out of state and there is no problem, just the usual BS of having inspections done and paying the fees.

<edit>

Just looked it up - you can bring in a new vehicle from out of state so long as it meets CA emissions and has the labels to prove it. "new" is any vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
If the bike is new or has less than 7500 miles on it, no way at all on a new bike and possibly like new used if from a private party. Sometimes the DMV person that inspects your bike at the Ca DMV will just give it a once over to get the VIN and engine number, others may verify that the miles on the pink are below 7500, but it is really a crap shoot.

The easy answer is under 7500 at the time of purchase or new from out of state, no. This has to do with smog regulations. The Federal sticker on the bike may say that it meets California emission standard, then you are OK, on a used bike, but other than that, no. Some of it is taxes, most of it is smog.

If you were to buy a bike out of Cali, and you payed state tax there, if it is less than what California charges, you have to make up the difference. If you pay higher than California, they will not charge you sales tax. Ain't it great paying California tax on an out of state purchase? How they pulled that off, I'll never know.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Oh just wait until the new laws hit in Jan 1 2013 for "New Builds" in California. No joy coming at that time. I think then only a Shop Owner/Builder will be able to weave their way through the paper work then. That is just what I have heard. I will have to go through it with my own build. Not looking forward to it.

I think some time ago I posted a link in the Bikers Hang Out on that issue. It would be about 3 months back I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked him to make sure the charcoal canister was installed along with the emission sticker, he hasn't replied.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I don't think that's going to help you. This is bureaucracy you're dealing with, and if it says no new bikes, your chances of getting away with it are slim to anorexic. If it's got to be a new bike, buy it in Ca., if a second hand one will do, get one with 7500miles on it.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Look, here it is from the horse's mouth. Or the DMV website. Whichever.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Be Sure You Can Register it in California

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here. This includes certain diesel powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (Health and Safety Codes [H&SC] §§43150 – 43156.)
What Is Considered a new Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.
Aren't all Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.
Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the frame or refer to your owner's manual. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.
Exemptions

There are a few exemptions included in the law. As a California resident you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if it was:

• Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or a legal separation settlement
  • Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
  • Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
  • An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § 27156.2 and 27156.3.
  • Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
  • A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.
Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS.) No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB), or visit ARB online.
Drive clean
Are you looking to reduce your carbon footprint, save money on gas or just contribute less to smog? DriveClean.ca.gov is California’s buying guide for clean and efficient vehicles. Since motor vehicles are responsible for more than half of the smog and global warming pollution in California, the vehicle you buy directly impacts air quality, global warming and energy security.
Visit DriveClean.ca.govfor more information about the Environmental Performance Label, to compare scores and to find the latest incentives For More Information Regarding...

FFVR 29 (REV. 2/2010) www 3/2010​

H

·
0 Posts
Look, here it is from the horse's mouth. Or the DMV website. Whichever.

The OP was told if he bought a "new bike, street triple Triumph" from out of state he wouldn't be able to register it in the wonderful Republic of California. As Triumph no longer builds 48 state approved bikes and all of their bikes now meet even the Republics requirements I put forth that the dealer is either stupid or a liar and just wanted the sale for himself.
Crude, rude, nasty? You bet. Every one has had experiences over the years trying to get bikes titled, licensed some where but in this case, if the quote from Unk is current then the OP was led astray by the dealer he spoke with.:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The OP was told if he bought a "new bike, street triple Triumph" from out of state he wouldn't be able to register it in the wonderful Republic of California. As Triumph no longer builds 48 state approved bikes and all of their bikes now meet even the Republics requirements I put forth that the dealer is either stupid or a liar and just wanted the sale for himself.
Crude, rude, nasty? You bet. Every one has had experiences over the years trying to get bikes titled, licensed some where but in this case, if the quote from Unk is current then the OP was led astray by the dealer he spoke with.:cool:
Thank you Unk for the info, and thank you Hap for tying it together for me. The dealer I will be purchasing from is St. Petes in Florida, I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The gentlemen I am talking to told me today that the bike can be registered in CA, he also sent me the vin verification form for the bike. I've asked him to send me a photo of the emissions label and we'll go from there.

Anyone in CA buy new from out of state!!! This process seems so easy, I just want to make sure there are no underlying issues.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
After looking for a few minutes on Cycle Trader, $9599 is pretty much the base price for an STr. With a number of dealers in Ca trying to sell them and also with you having a final price of $12K delivered etc, I think you have a good place to negotiate from. I wouldn't pull the trigger yet on the FL bike until you spend some time talking with other local dealers first. What kind of a deal can you get from Doug Douglas in San Berdoo? If I remember right, Danny is the guy to talk with and they have been around since 1967 and they are local. Give them a call. They have an EXCELLENT service dept and it is helping someone in your town. Keep your money local if you can.

E.T.A: http://www.douglasmotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03824732X10K6K2012J12I29I34JPMQ2515R0&veh=322023&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2012

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Simi Valley Cycles in Simi Valley California has one on Cycle Trader for $9599 before other costs. I would compare if I were you. This one is only about 2 hours away and you can ride it home. You can probably also negotiate it.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-99250451

I called simi and they sold that bike 3 weeks ago, just havent taken down the ad. Danny @ DD can't get me it in white. Every dealer in so cal knows me and knows I want it in white. I will give them all some time to make it happen, if not I'll most likely buy this one from St. Pete, who so far has been answering all of my questions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts