Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January issue of Motorcyclist on the Thruxton: "the Triumph is an embarrassment." But wait, there's more: a "mockery of its lineage" and a Triumph only in name. Triumph must not have paid its ad bill.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Truth is,
as much as I liked the notion of the Kawasaki (kickstart!)W650...... which in many camps
"did a better job of replicating a Bonneville than Triumph did",
it was still a Kawi', and a fake, and 'Made in Japan'.

My vanity caused me to think that my new 2005 modern retro Trumpet wasn't quite right......
until I put gaiters on it and "Made in England" decals.

So yeah, I bought it because of Triumph's classic heritage ("name") and because of Bonneville's timelessness.

Call me shallow.
:razz:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-11 07:36 ]

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I bought my Kaw W650 and Triumph T100 because I like riding British-style motorcycles. Obviously, since I now own one of each. The Kaw hit the American marketplace approx one year before the new Bonneville. I saw it at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show in Feb of 2000. I test rode it in July, 2000. By Aug 2000, there was a W650 in my garage. 52,000 miles later, it is still ridden and much liked.

My T100 purchase came along several years later, in late 2005.
I may ride the T100 for a week straight, then switch over to the W for a week's worth or riding. The T100 sees its fair share of road time, actually this past year I rode it more than my BMW and W650. Part of the Triumph's mileage was the result of a 5000 mile trip in late May/early June. I considered taking the W650, but decided it would be neat for my buddy and me to be riding identical models.

Thinking out loud, if the W650 had been designed, built, and badged by Triumph, and the T100 was designed, built, and badged by Kawasaki, I wouldn't like one bike any less or any more. To me, they are both real motorcycles, bare-bones machines with only vital essentials required to take me on my rides. It is evident the design teams from both companies were driven to produce something unique, and to that end, I believe they both achieved their design goal extremely well.

I am pleased that Triumph has made a spectacular comeback, and that they've decided to support those of us who like retro machines. I am also pleased that Kawasaki saw fit to produce the W650 and bring it to the USA. Triumph and Kawasaki have provided me with an opportunity to own two relatively inexpensive motorcycles designed around the classic British vertical twin layout. Both are well-built, both run well, are a pleasure to ride, and are do-anything bikes. If Kaw brought the W650 back as a 750 or 850 along with incremental improvements, I'd own one. That is not likely, so I will ride my T100 until such time as Triumph performs their magic and brings out the next edition of the Bonneville. Then I'll weigh old vs new, and make my decision at that time to hold it or fold it.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am glad the GB has been brought up. After the hurt feelings over the recent Thrux/Duc review in regards to performance and what not, the geebs is one of those bikes that truely is low horsepower=miles of fun. I just picked one up about a month ago and am itching for better weather to ride it more. I would push this bike on anyone! When I got my Bonnie the Thrux had not been introduced. Probably would have chosen the Thrux over my Bonnie. Over the years I have made it more cafe style. It's now more nimble with a nice overall feel and sound. But compared to the GB, it's a straight up cruiser...even with the clubmans. I enjoy camparing the two though. The Bonnie has the deep roar and the weight to feel comfortable on the freeway with side winds. The Geebs can be tossed all over the place; light weight scooter fun with an awesome packaged look.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
On 2006-12-11 05:17, English_Spanner wrote:

Be honest that's the only reason people buy 'em
And the only reason people buy Mustangs, and Harleys, and Jaguars, etc. We buy what we like and we buy what we think is cool. I fell in love with the Bonneville the moment I saw it. I hadn't even decided to buy a motorcycle at all until then, but I liked the look, the size and yes, the badge. That's the power of a brand's image. I think Triumph did a nice job of designing modern bikes with the sound and styling cues of the classics, and I can't imagine myself owning anything else.

·
Registered
685 Posts
On 2006-12-11 07:34, FattRat wrote:

So yeah, I bought it because of Triumph's classic heritage ("name") and because of Bonneville's timelessness.

Call me shallow.
:razz:
Yeah, me too, call me shallow Al. :-D

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I bought mine because of the name, and that i hoped it would be more reliable and nicer to ride than my '78 triumph. It is. In fact, of all the bikes i've owned it's as nice as any and nicer than most i all respects. Anyone who gives such self centered opinions and is in such a position to influence masses like this is an idiot. These bikes sell well and are loved by many and from my experience get more raves from people when you're out and about than most anything else. I can honestly say w/o exaggeration i've had far more people comment on mine than all the compliments combined on my previous 12 bikes. And this guy calls them embarrasments?!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-12-12 16:03, dazco wrote:
I bought mine because of the name, and that i hoped it would be more reliable and nicer to ride than my '78 triumph. It is. In fact, of all the bikes i've owned it's as nice as any and nicer than most i all respects. Anyone who gives such self centered opinions and is in such a position to influence masses like this is an idiot. These bikes sell well and are loved by many and from my experience get more raves from people when you're out and about than most anything else. I can honestly say w/o exaggeration i've had far more people comment on mine than all the compliments combined on my previous 12 bikes. And this guy calls them embarrasments?!
Dead on! I think that a modern 600 supersport is what most of the magazine guys think of as a motorcycle and everything else is judged by how far it deviates from that standard. I don't think they even like the idea of a Bonneville. However, having said that, it is also fair to say that there is a bit of room for Triumph to improve the Bonneville line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts