Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you guys outside of the US don't celebrate Thanksgiving do you?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you guys should a start a cultural enlightenment movement there by taking the day off of work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I read somewhere that on an average the U.S. has far fewer holidays thatn most other civilized countries! Oops I guess I need to include our ausie friends in that. Anyone else know if this is true? sean....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes its true. The US are not that blessed when it comes to holidays compared to other westernised countries.
Here in Melbourne (Aus) have a day off the first Tuesday of November for a horse race (the Melbourne Cup). Now if that ain't getting your priorities right i don't what is.

BTW I have absolutely no interest in watching squeaky voiced midgets beating the c r a p out of a beautiful animal. But i do enjoy the day off. As it's always on a Tuesday the far majority take the Monday off as well and have a long weekend.

The 2006 Melbourne Cup Carnival

·
Registered
278 Posts
my girl is from puerto rico and she says they have a holiday for everything. christmas lasts for months there too. anything to get wasted.... :-D

·
Registered
120 Posts
We don't have thanksgiving here.We did have a 4 day weekend for the Melbourne cup though, RDO on the monday and a picnic day on the tuesday. Having today off because I can. :cool:

·
Registered
591 Posts
There is one other place in the US where there are more holiday's than any other. The US Army in Hawaii. When I was in we used to have these things called ADONSA's, "a day of no scheduled activities". It was usually a friday, ATLEAST once a month. A cleverly designed way to have a three day weekend to enjoy Hawaii by the command staff. Honestly, it was the only thing I ever saw a General do right.....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Maybe we don't have as many holidays because we're a relativley young country? We do need more, not that it'd matter, I'd still have to work.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of these holidays will change once the revolution begins.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
On 2006-11-21 16:33, Calitriple wrote:
There is one other place in the US where there are more holiday's than any other. The US Army in Hawaii. When I was in we used to have these things called ADONSA's, "a day of no scheduled activities". It was usually a friday, ATLEAST once a month. A cleverly designed way to have a three day weekend to enjoy Hawaii by the command staff. Honestly, it was the only thing I ever saw a General do right.....
that's awesome! when i did a stint at diego garcia (in the indian ocean), my hours were:
starting at 7:00a.m. - knocked off at 9:00 a.m. -- because it was too hot. (during the winter months) so you either walked over to the beach (15 yards away) or you got blind drunk. - at least that's what my commanding officer did. (passed out on vodka in his volleyball court by 11:00a.m.!)
i just chased crabs, swam and took photos.
-b

1 - 14 of 14 Posts