Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
This thread is for posting details of items off other bikes that can be used on our bikes.

Post the item and manufacturer, details of installation, notes on ease of fitment, and ooooh, all that good stuff.

NOTE: To keep the thread easy to follow, "ooh ah" comments and general chit chat will be removed, but please post comments on how you feel about your own fitment in your post.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Good idea, but what do you mean by "fit"? I have an XS speedo on my Scrambler (ala paulhdick), but that required some modifications to work (Tiger handlebar clamps and a fabricated bracket).

The write up is here. I did not install the connector. I spliced into the old speedometer harness. If you ask Paul real nice, he will provide a bracket for a nominal fee (well worth it). The speedometer is only US$65, however the Tiger parts are quite expensive (US$150 or so).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Brake calipers

The Bonnie uses Nissin calipers. The front can be found on a later model Honda VTX 1300 and has a good parts breakdown. The rear is a caliper from a Honda ST1100 . A Honda dealer can get the parts pretty fast.

Sure would like to find cheaper brake and clutch levers.

EBC makes front and rear brake rotors which can be ordered from about any bike dealer. Chains and sprockets from the usual suspects :).

·
Registered
734 Posts
WOO-Hoo thanks for the props and for doing this as a sticky. I think this will go over pretty big from what I've seen over the last couple of years from other posters. There are quite a few parts that will fit our bikes for a whole lot less than Triumph wants, and I'm sorry to say....better quality. My first contribution will be the Yamaha YSF pegs. Front and rear pegs ran me $25, total, and I'm very happy with them. Triumph wants $68 PER peg and they have a nasty habit of breaking off.:eek: Do a search and you'll see quite a few horror stories. Here's what they look like and they come in different colors to match your color scheme.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
brakes and rotors

Taken from a post by uzidzit

Bonneville useful Brake Information Part Numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know most of you have seen the EBC Pro-Lite floating rotor for the front of the Bonneville from newbonneville, bellacoursa etc. if you need one quick I got mine from Dennis Kirk, even though they do not list it, bike bandit also has it much cheaper if you know what to get.

So here is the skinny,
Order a LEFT HAND rotor for a Honda CBR600F2 (91-94), this is the same part the above retailers sell, for the Bonneville.

This along with a EBC solid rear and HH sintered Pads Is a super up grade for the factory warp-o-matic rotors!!

Ps warm your bolts for removal and re-install with 242 locktite @ 22Nm... I said warm not incinerate the bolts, and loosen with an impact screwdriver and good quality 6mm allen socket an you will not have to replace those $6.00 screws!!! Yes $6.00 each screw....ouch

EBC Part #'s
Pro-Lite front rotor MD601LS
rear rotor MD663
Rear Pads FA2142HH (sintered), FA2142 (organic)
front pads FA196HH

ADDED MAR 08 BELOW NOTE:
ps I have come around to thinking that the organic is the way to go for the rear pads the hh is too aggressive, and just makes it too easy to lock the rear, so HH UP FRONT, ORGANIC IN REAR.

·
Registered
639 Posts
YSF Pegs?

<snip>My first contribution will be the Yamaha YSF pegs. Front and rear pegs ran me $25, total, and I'm very happy with them.<snip>

Hi SHRuum...I looked all over and can't find a deal on YSF pegs anywhere. Mebbe YZF? Either way I'd like to get 4 pegs for $25 bucks....can you post a link to where we can get 'em?

Thanks,
BLIGHT:motorbike:
BTW, yer bike looks great!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thruxton Peg Alternative

Never mind...it is the YZF peg. Apparently it fits all modern R6's and R1's, and even a lot of Hondas and Kawasakis too.

Just ound some really neat footpeg alternatives (I don't like the old-fart OEM pegs much) for the Thruxton, besides I hear the stockers can snap off...they appear to be weak die-cast aluminum, not forged like most other bikes. Poop!

Here's a billet peg I really like...especially the silver ones:

http://www.pitposse.com/possefootpegs.html

I think they go for $29.95 USD per pair, but I think they are very nice indeed! You can even adjust the foot-pad area angle by rotating it and locking it down to suit your riding and boot position.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
rear shocks

Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and 1200,

KYB shocks fit the Bonneville. These shocks are Thruxton length and you will need to use the stock bushings on either the top or the bottom mount, sorry I can't remember which one.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
KYB shocks +1!

Whoa...... I want to those shocks! More info please!
Yeah...these shocks are pretty trick 'if' you can snag a used pair for a decent price, which is around $300 USD these days on ebay. Just do a search for 'ZRX shocks' and you should be able to find some. (I do have a second pair of these shocks that I'll be posting on the bay in a couple of weeks after I get through the holidays)

I'm just now getting used to the KYB's, and they are just a little stiffer than the stockers, but they are all business. You do need to swap the lower rubber isolators from your stock shocks into the KYB's...pretty easy. What's really nice is you can individually adjust spring preload, compression damping, and rebound damping.

Here is a photo link to my Thruxton with the KYB's installed:
http://picasaweb.google.com/BKL93908/ThruxtonKYBShocks#

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hey Oz,
Can you be more specific on what part number those shocks are?
Searches in Kawasaki and KYB both end in a blank.....either the model number of the Kawi or the part number of the shocks would help in finding them online.
Thanks

click on the link to the ZRX owners association for the technical data

http://www.zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/techinfo.html

Kawasaki Shocks and Shock hardware part Numbers

Up to 2000 model part Numbers

Left shock unit......45014-1648-2H
Right shock unit....45014-1649-2H

Mounting Hardware Upper..
Upper cap nut......92020-014......1 each side
upper bushing......92075-1141....1 each side
upper washer......92200-1312.....1 each side

Mounting Hardware Lower..
Bolt......................92150-1736.....1 each side
Nut.......................92015-1335.....1 each side
bushing................92075-1586......1 each side

·
Registered
705 Posts
had to switch to attachments instead of linking the pictures.

1st pic:
Old style Harley controls. Specific mods to make them work: sacrifice first born child for Motion Pro cables and Goodridge brake line.

2nd pic:
Ricer LED lights used for dash lights. Both license plate bolts are red and hook up to the oil pressure sensor. Middle three are green. Middle one is hooked up to neutral sensor and the other two are hooked up to their respective blinkers. Specific mods: 3/4 aluminum channel trimmed to fit forward two mounting points for stock dash. Drilled out those holes and used a nut on the back of the license plate bolts. Bondo in dip that was hidden by dash. Also note two piece risers for Harley. Had to drill out top tree to accomidate bigger bolts. Knurling for Harley bars is slightly closer than Triumph's so round risers would be better since they would cover that inside edge of knurling.

3rd pic:
Had to drill out the threading at the 14mm bolt for the fender strut in order for these to go on. Cut a small spacer of aluminum so the housing would clear the strut.

4th pic:
This is an adapter bracket meant for a springer(not sure of the brand, it was just laying around Frisco Choppers showroom) that happened to go perfectly from the smaller triumph headlight bolt hole to the bigger bolt hole needed for the headlight I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Loves me the KYB's

I bought my KYB's from a fellow RAT for about $200.00. They rock and go especially well with the Works Performance springs up front. Here's mine:

Cheers,

SK

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What happenned to moving this thread into stickyhood? I've got some BIG Uni pods I researched and installed as well as a $5 breather catch I assembled in the plumbing section of my local Ace Hardware. I also ran across a post a while back by a guy who cut up a stainless steel coffee cup for a way cool budget speedo bezel. Let that idea get around and we'll all be prowling Wal-mart.

thermos gauge pods

·
Registered
62 Posts
other parts that fit our bikes

hi ozbon.
you say that the shocks are thruxton length, is that longer or shorter than the standard bonneville shocks. i think they look cool & i would like to fit some to my bike but i dont want to make it any higher i am only short, if anything i would to reduce the hight by an inch.
i would be very thankfull for any info you can give me on them.
jonh.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
hi ozbon.
you say that the shocks are thruxton length, is that longer or shorter than the standard bonneville shocks. i think they look cool & i would like to fit some to my bike but i dont want to make it any higher i am only short, if anything i would to reduce the hight by an inch.
i would be very thankfull for any info you can give me on them.
jonh.
John
The standard Bonnie is 340mm, the KYB's are 360mm (thrux length) eye to eye they are also very stiff compared to the stock shocks, remembering they came off a much heavier bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
other parts that fit our bikes

hi ozbon
hi mate do you know of any shocks that are shorter than the standards that are worth fitting.
john.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts