Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you are Moto GP fans but I have been following the story on a second US Moto GP round. Indy is trying to close the deal to bring Moto GP to Indianapolis. :yayyy: I am a HUGH fan of this kind of racing. Less then a 100 miles from my home too. I enjoy the F1 also. Hope we get it and hope to meet some of you all down there when it happens. :) Click here to read moreIndy Moto GP :yayyy: :clap: I have emailed IMS a few times asking for a motorcyle race. Now I feel like a kid before Christmas. :razz:

[ This message was edited by: Ranger32 on 2007-02-21 19:44 ]

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went to Laguna for the GP two years ago and have tix this year as well. It is a million times cooler in real life then on the tube. The first time you hear a gp bike roar by all the hair stands straight up on the back of your neck. Hella cool.

Laguna Seca has had lots of issues with the crowds that attend. As much as I would hate to see it go, Indy is the logical choice to suport the masses.

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
On 2007-02-22 00:21, tomstumble wrote:
... It is a million times cooler in real life then on the tube.....
If you'd been there last year you wouldn't have described as 'cool' :-D Hot as it was in '05, last year was brutal.
Fire department showed up with trucksload of free bottled water so the crowd wouldn't de-hydrate; on the ride home I had partially unzipped my jacket thinking the air circulation would help - wrong! It actually made things hotter, the air temp was so high!

But wouldn't have missed for the world - already have tix for this year & just purchased a rear seat for the bike so Mrs can go again - we took car 2 years ago & swore never again. Single seat bike last year with brother-in-law on his, meant she didn't make it but logistics for the bike riders was sooo much better (while if anything, for the cagers it was even worse); this year we will be all set to do it again together!

Can't miss event - heat or no heat!

Indy? Boring!!!!!! Laguna is a great technical track - can't beat the spectacular thrill of view from Corkscrew down through Rainey!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I doubt they take it out of Laguna, rather have both tracks. I wish they'd come to Utah.... Yeah yeah I know..... THe new track has been internationally recocognized though and won an award for track of the year or somthing. Would be great to have it out here. I'll be at the AMA races this year, maybe Laguna Seca next year.
Either way, i'm just excited for the season to begin.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I assume you mean the F1 circuit.
4 lefts and 9 rights means some uneven tyre wear.

Still, I hope you guys get behind your world champion and show the US that there is exciting motorsport that goes around corners not just straights and ovals.

Yep, I know the AMA supers are one of the best series going, but does it get coverage on your evening news. It does over here, but Mat has won it what 5 out of 6 years?

How many races do we think Nicky will win this year?
Will 4 be enough to win the title this year?
Will Caparossi come out firing?
Can Pederosa win on the 800?
Can Hopkins finally live up to his potential?
Which race will Stoner fall off in first?
Has the doctor forgiven himself for falling off?
How long will gibber now last before having a little cry?Will Vermuilen remove the mole from his cheek?
Am I keen? OOOHHH YEAH!!

AND, this week we get Mad Max playing with TTroy and co at Qattar.

:chug: :ppcn: :-g :ppcn:

AA

[ This message was edited by: amberale on 2007-02-22 06:17 ]

·
Registered
155 Posts
On 2007-02-22 06:16, amberale wrote:
I assume you mean the F1 circuit.
4 lefts and 9 rights means some uneven tyre wear.
They haven't annouced the course yet by the best assumption is the F1 circuit or some variation there of. Interesting that the Speedway will have to covert from the 500 oval to the USGP road course to the Sh!tyard 400 oval back to a road course each month of the summer. Not any easy task.

I go to the USGP every year and our seats are right at the entrance to turn one. Great place to sit esp. during the Porsche Cup races. I haven't considered where the best seats would be for a MotoGP (again assuming they us the same course.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't really see MotoGP running at Indy. They won't even run Superbikes at Daytona anymore because they can't build tires that can stand up to the banking. I know Indy's banking is not as steep but I still think it is not a good place for bikes. One high speed get off on the banking and there is going to be a fatality, Safer Barrier or not.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On 2007-02-22 08:33, dr_gallup wrote:
I don't really see MotoGP running at Indy. They won't even run Superbikes at Daytona anymore because they can't build tires that can stand up to the banking. I know Indy's banking is not as steep but I still think it is not a good place for bikes. One high speed get off on the banking and there is going to be a fatality, Safer Barrier or not.
My guess is they would add some type of chicane to Indy Turn 1 to slow the bikes down. A chicane at this location was discussed during the Michelin Debacle of 2005

Actually I'm surprised that Tony George wants to add a bike race. I always figured that he'd want an endurance race (ala LeMans)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hope it does run at Indy. My brother lives there and I could stay with him and get chauffeured around on the cheap.
I took a track tour there but never saw any races live. They have a few feet of the old brick still in place on the track when I saw it. Don't know if that would stay or not for MOTO GP.

[ This message was edited by: Dobieman on 2007-02-22 08:53 ]

·
Registered
155 Posts
On 2007-02-22 08:53, Dobieman wrote:
I hope it does run at Indy. My brother lives there and I could stay with him and get chauffeured around on the cheap.
I took a track tour there but never saw any races live. They have a few feet of the old brick still in place on the track when I saw it. Don't know if that would stay or not for MOTO GP.
Bricks are still there and probably always will be. I doubt they'd be a problem since it's only 3 feet worth. A similar concern was raise before the 1st USGP @ Indy. It was decided to move the starting grid back so the first row would have more speed before they hit the bricks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2007-02-22 00:45, DEcosse wrote:

Indy? Boring!!!!!! Laguna is a great technical track - can't beat the spectacular thrill of view from Corkscrew down through Rainey!
+1
I think if there were going to be another US round, it should be at Barber in AL - an incredible facility in every respect. I feel this way about the F1 race at Indy as well. There are too many better tracks in the US to keep holding "road" races at a superspeedway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts