Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this time of year I always dig into my Classical musical collection and start listening in earnest to the genre until the holiday season is over. I have certain favorites I play annually while trying to discover new works. I think it's because I used to live in Milano, Italy and the concert season was a huge part of the Christmas celebrations.

I saw the Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of Herbert von Karajan perform at the Conservatorio di Giuseppe Verdi. I also saw Luciano Pavarotti perform in Simon Bocanegra at La Scalla. Great stuff and something I dearly miss living in Podunk, Nevada.

My all time favorite at this time of year is Ave Maria by Gounod. There are many others selections.

My question for all you unconfessed classical music affeciandos is what rings your chimes?

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
For this time of year? Handel's Messiah.

In general? Handel's Water Music, Verdi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony and Eroica Symphony and ... okay, a lot of Beethoven. And Purcell's Trumpet Voluntary.

·
30,296 Posts
All of that, a lot of choral stuff lately for some reason (I just like it), and Gilbert and Sullivan for a little light hearted "satire of the day" humour. And Griegs Peer Gynt suite. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
All of Chopin, Mahler's 5th, Beethoven's 1st to 8th Symphonies incl., Shostakovich Russian Waltz, Barber Adagio... the list is long.:)

·
30,296 Posts
And Vaughn Williams "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" which I find very moving.

EDIT: I meant "Fantasia" not "Rhapsody" (changed it), I was thinking also of Rhapsody in Blue, but I tend to listen to that in spring.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana -- Seiji Ozawa conducting on CD,
St. Louis Symphony for a great live performance. I've seen them do it twice -- both were the "knock your socks off " performance of the season!

Bach's Toccatta and Fugue for organ -- live, on a real pipe organ so the bass just goes through you.

When I'm feeling thoughtful -- Yo Yo Ma performing Bach's Six Sonatas and Partitas on a solo cello.

Also, some of Ma's Silk Road recording -- nice mix of east and west.

And never let us forget Ralph Vaughn Williams' The Lark Ascending -- way up at the top of the list for music to get laid to!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (with the bass cranked up!)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am a baroque guy, which probably explains why I don't get too many dates. I like just about any Mozart piano concertos (especially any played by Mitsuko Uchida), Bocherini, Corelli, and just about any baroque guitar (Kazuhito Yama****a especially). Not all that into Symphonics, or Romatics except for Satie.

We could really bore some folks with a "What's your top 10 favorite opuses (opusii ???) thread!

PS- Looks like the profanity cops have edited my post. The artists name is Kazhito Yama[vulgar slang for excrement goes here]a.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I'll stick my hand up for "The Messiah" as well, but I also love Strauss. I think it's because one of my favourite movies is "The Great Waltz" the 1938 version with Luise Rainer.

I also enjoy other movie sound tracks, like the original sound track from "The Dish" by Edmund Choi.

Finally, Vidor's Toccata with Trumpet voluntary always stirs me up. For two reasons, I used to play trumpet, and it was played by pipe organ and trumpet for the departure of the church for my second wedding - we're divorced, which is why it stirs me up....:mad:

For number 3 wedding, we played Tom Waits - Little Trip to Heaven from Closing Time

Mick :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I enjoy most "classical" music, from all eras. This time of year, I tend to dial down Beethoven a bit (much better appreciated toward spring, IMO), and increase my intake of the Russians, most notably Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev, plus some of the French romanticists. As for more recent composers, I seem to need some John Rutter around this time of year... at the very least, his Gloria; plus I have a predilection for Wilfred Josephs' concert music at this time of year, too, though I am not aware of anything particularly seasonal that he ever wrote.

And Bach, of course, always had something for every season. :)

(Idahotb, it was the automatic word filter that took out part of Yamash'ta's name... which I have spelt here more as it is pronounced, for benefit of anyone who may not know, with the "i" largely silent. At least the current board software is somewhat more intelligent than the previous software. With that one you couldn't, for example, "thump a piece of scrap metal." It would come out "t***** a piece of s***** metal." Shocking, eh. :eek:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Toccata and Fugue on a good organ can't be beat in my opinion. The best live performance I have seen was when Pink Martini and the NSO pops performed Bolero, they should've recorded that. I tend to like the opera music, but not the vocals and definitely not the choral works. The more dramatic the better, like 1812 Overture, William Tell overture, Dvorak's Symphony 9 in E minor, Peer Gynt, Le Carnavale des Animaux, Light Cavalry overture, Bacchanal from Samson and Delilah, Carmen, and many others. Of course the Nutcracker is a classic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I work from home and have the radio on all the time. 'Cos I can't stand commercials it's BBC Radio 3. The downside is having to put up with rather too much experimental music and lieder singing which seems to me to lack melody. So I look forward to anything by Haydn. ( and jazz )

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
We could really bore some folks with a "What's your top 10 favorite opuses (opusii ???) thread!
There's this one

and this one

and this one

and this one

oops, four picture limit!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I'll stick my hand up for "The Messiah" as well, but I also love Strauss. I think it's because one of my favourite movies is "The Great Waltz" the 1938 version with Luise Rainer.

I also enjoy other movie sound tracks, like the original sound track from "The Dish" by Edmund Choi.

Finally, Vidor's Toccata with Trumpet voluntary always stirs me up. For two reasons, I used to play trumpet, and it was played by pipe organ and trumpet for the departure of the church for my second wedding - we're divorced, which is why it stirs me up....:mad:

For number 3 wedding, we played Tom Waits - Little Trip to Heaven from Closing Time

Mick :cool:
Well if we are including movie scores, then I have to add Ennio Morricone! I love The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as well as For a Few Dollars More movie scores.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well if we are including movie scores, then I have to add Ennio Morricone! I love The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as well as For a Few Dollars More movie scores.
Yep, anything composed by Ennio Morricone, but my favorite movie scores are from Duck You Sucker! and The Untouchables.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Yep, anything composed by Enni Morricone, but my favorite movie scores are from Duck You Sucker! and The Untouchables.
I don't have Duck you Sucker soundtrack but I do have the movie on DVD. One of Leone's finest.

·
30,296 Posts
The Untouchables is good, but I have been enjoying soundtracks from "The English Patient", "Henry V" (Ken Branagh version), "Master and Commander", all the Indiana Jones movies and "Star Trek II".

Oh, and "Gladiator".

·
Registered
8 Posts
If we're including movie soundtracks, John Williams and Henry Mancini get thrown into my list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts