Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got 'em on.

Now before y'all start bitchin' about them not being black, (I'm still smating from the chrome rad cap) bear in mind:

1. These are for a pre 05 Triple so I might have to do some machining, consider also that I have a Zard and some contact could have been possible (as it turns out no problem).
2. The are no anodising facilities here, so machining a black piece would have made it look worse.

Thanks to SMF I got these for a good price on eBay and delivery was very fast. Thanks again SMF.

Ok first little problem was that there was too much end float on the levers (which are roller raced BTW) and not enough shims were supplied. So I had to buy some shim plate and make a couple of washers.

Second and most major problem was the bit that goes on splines of the gearbox selector shaft. This bit was about 12mm (1/2 inch) too long. It's a two part and the two parts separated after some heat (loctited on) and some hammering. 12mm cut off and a new groove machined for the dovetail. Another problem was a too tight fit on the splines. A small triangular file solved that one.

The levers have countersinks for the pedals but dome head screws supplied so got two countersunk screws instead. Also the round pedals had now way to grip them so banged a sharp cut off allen key and 'cold forged' a hexagon into the pedal ends. Yeah.

On the brake side I had to buy a brake light banjo bolt switch, and a longer blingy braided hose from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder. The other mod I did here was to buy an 8mm rose-joint and fitted that. Seems neater and better than using the stock clevis pin.

Some pics:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice job on the custom fit.

In your opinion, what is gained or lost by this rear set conversion compared to the stock parts?

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-01-31 07:09 ]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2007-01-31 07:09, Devious2XS wrote:
Nice job on the custom fit.

In your opinion, what is gained or lost by this rear set conversion compared to the stock parts?
Can I use the word bling?. Seriously the gear change has improved, not tremendously, but noticeable, and rear braking seems more 'accurate'. Also have the option of changing peg position, but am comfortable as they are in the pic.
Only downside is as the pegs are non folding my calves tend to hit the pegs when I'm doing the reverse waddle.
Reminds me of another little mod I did, was to file and round off the pointy bit of the front lower pegs.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Nice work, and real nice overall too. So, why did you choose a set you had to modify, as opposed to say, the LSLs?

·
Registered
344 Posts
you got a lot of nice shiit on yer bike :wink: how do ya like that rear shock?...be careful of those non folding pegs...hang the outside of your foot a little off the edge of the peg for a gauge when you are really leaning hard...i've low sided due to a hard lean and a fixed peg

·
Registered
155 Posts
On 2007-01-31 07:02, Avi8or wrote:
Second and most major problem was the bit that goes on splines of the gearbox selector shaft. This bit was about 12mm (1/2 inch) too long. It's a two part and the two parts separated after some heat (loctited on) and some hammering. 12mm cut off and a new groove machined for the dovetail. Another problem was a too tight fit on the splines. A small triangular file solved that one.
Nice work. Do you have a detailed photo of the mods you made to gear lever?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2007-01-31 09:32, Goffe wrote:
Nice work, and real nice overall too. So, why did you choose a set you had to modify, as opposed to say, the LSLs?
Price basically, Got the OSF's for $200 plus postage plus tax. The LSL's would have cost me at least THREE times as much plus postage. Cheapo would certainly approve.

My fav would have been the the Sato,
Sato Racing
but again I wasn't ready to risk over $500 for a set for the pre 2005 bikes without the certainty of fitting the 05 and later models.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2007-01-31 10:09, DirtMcGirt wrote:
you got a lot of nice shiit on yer bike :wink: how do ya like that rear shock?...be careful of those non folding pegs...hang the outside of your foot a little off the edge of the peg for a gauge when you are really leaning hard...i've low sided due to a hard lean and a fixed peg
Shock is OK. No complaints, but it's a bit wasted on our 'roads, which leads me to your 2nd point. If you can scrape pegs here, your either a lucky nutter or someone with a low-side wish. Most 95% of our 'roads' are siht.
But thanks for the advice all the same, though I might modify the pegs to make 'em foldable. See my previous post re calves.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2007-01-31 12:54, KarmaPunk1 wrote:
Hey, I noticed the Olhins shock. nice. Where you get it?
The Ohlins I bought used for a reasonable price from a member on either this forum or the T595 one forgot which exactly. Again Cheap would approve....... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On 2007-01-31 14:59, Tricks wrote:
Looks mega Avy :upthumb:

Just need to get rid of those rear passenger foot pegs...

Oh, and the top hat...
Tanks.........'fraid SWMBO often comes for a ride and hates having free dangling feet.

What top hat............ :???: ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
After seeing your pics I contacted OSF and to try and get some rearsets for my 04 S3. In his email he said "please give whomever's bike that is our email address, as I'd like to get him an updated shift knuckle." So email Chis of OSF at [email protected] to get the updated shift knuckle.
Regards
RJ :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts