Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
As others have pointed out, it's a back-formation.

Original verb: orient
Noun formed from verb: orientation
New verb, back-formed from the noun: orientate.

It's not wrong, and it happens a lot in the English Language. Another example is 'to burgle', which is a back-formation from 'burglar'. There never was a verb 'to burgle' until 'burglar' came along, but there is now.

According to sources like the OED, either orient/orientate is correct. There are far more important things to worry about, frankly. And to publicly correct someone else's use of language is unforgivably rude. I used to be an English teacher, and I would never be such an arse as to do that, unless the person specifically asked me.

Also, it's a useful way of finding out who is a tit on the internet. If someone patronisingly corrects another poster's grammar or spelling in an argument, then they can safely be ignored as a pompous arse.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
for Gawds sake .get a life :p
Superfluous period. Please fix it immediately. :D

Naw I just got tired of her. After a while acrylic nails and the popping of bubble gum gets pretty old :D

It's not wrong, and it happens a lot in the English Language.
The fact that it happens a lot hardly proves that...

Also, it's a useful way of finding out who is a tit on the internet. If someone patronisingly corrects another poster's grammar or spelling in an argument, then they can safely be ignored as a pompous arse.
.... nevermind. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
I feel disorientatificated.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts