Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you seen the new Norton Commando?, Wow, it sure looks good. DOHC 950cc twin, not too dissimilar looking to a Thruxton and also built in Leicestershire UK but no relationship to Triumph. What a beautiful machine, supposed to be in production in the spring with a run of 200 bikes to start with. No price release as yet, but probably around £10,000 at a guess .I want one to go next to the T100. What are your impressions?
UK Daveski

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like it too! I think (or maybe hope, for Nortons sake) that it's gonna be like gold dust trying to get hold of one for a while due to the small production numbers. But, reading magazine reviews on their plans I can see them being succesful again!!!

Ben

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
If this is the bike you are talking about, then it is tyhe Dreer Norton from a few years ago and it is push rod twin with a 270deg crank.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am only waiting for the bike to become available before I buy one (do NOT tell my wife, who just so happens to be carrying the heir to my great estate).

Ditto

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's called the Commando 961SS. I don't think it is generally available yet. Boy, I'd like to get my hands on one. I think information is still very scarce. They have a website.

I think it's an American product, but I'm not sure.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
That is the stillborn/leftover Dreer Norton. It is push rods and a 270 deg crank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, if it's a Dreer VR 880 Commando you want I MIGHT be selling mine.... I won't really know anything until probably late April or May. I have the yellow "Sprint Special" (only one ever made actually) that was pictured in the Cycle World cover article...

-eric

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
No offense, but that is one of the few new bikes that I'd pick over my Bonnie in a heartbeat. Beautiful machine.
Ditto!:D

But - have they been reborn at just the wrong moment?

I, for one, hope not :cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think I read some where that it's starting price is around $20,000, don't know if thats right but people will pay that for a bike like that.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
These British guys bought the name and the R&D from the yanks who were going nowhere with it. They've built a 15000 sq ft factory at Donington Park to build the bikes, although I thought they were starting with a road going version of their wankel engined nrv588.

Bugger. Just realised that Triumph were always my local bike, but seeing as I grew up in Donington, looks like I might have to get a Norton now. Not that it looks like it'd be a hardship, mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts