Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone should list the order in which mods and upgrades should be done for a 790 bonnie.

mine's a 2005. there are things done: AI removed, air canister (CA) removed, TOR and KN filter in stock airbox rejetted.

i'm looking into 1" lowered front and back ikons.

should i do the DIY airbox cut with cone filters or an procom igniter? the igniter seems like an easier upgrade

is an igniter different from a rev limiter? i read that the igniter is the way to go rather than a rev limiter.

please inform my ignorance

thanks

JP

·
30,523 Posts
The order mods should be done in is down to the individual - there is no set sequence. But what you should do is think ahead when you do them, to try and minimze how much you spend - eg buy the best carbs you can if you think that later on you are going to do big bore and headwork...........

Don't sweat the order, do it the way that is most fun for you.

As for the igniter, it controls all the ignition, and has the rev limiter programmed into it. It lives underneath the seat, just under the pillion position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, i see. i was asking because i thought i've seen them advertised as separate items: rev limiter, igniter, ignition module. kinda confusing. so in other words, they are all in one?

·
30,523 Posts
Yes they are all one unit. It is marked "Gill" - I think that's the company that makes them.

And welcome to the forum by the way, tell us about your ride!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
someone should list the order in which mods and upgrades should be done for a 790 bonnie.

mine's a 2005. there are things done: AI removed, air canister (CA) removed, TOR and KN filter in stock airbox rejetted.

i'm looking into 1" lowered front and back ikons.

should i do the DIY airbox cut with cone filters or an procom igniter? the igniter seems like an easier upgrade

is an igniter different from a rev limiter? i read that the igniter is the way to go rather than a rev limiter.

please inform my ignorance

thanks

JP
What Prop said about the ignitor. The procom is an ok ignitor, but - if you are keeping the stock carbs - I'd go with a pieman reprogram over the procom to retain the throttle position sensor/3-D ignition timing map.

As far as gutting the airbox goes, it will be the best free modification you can do for performance at this point. Well, okay, it will not be totally free since you will need to upgrade the jets. Some of the airbox changes are way easy and simply amount to opening up the outside and drilling holes, etc. When you get to the point where opening up the airbox more doesn't affect your jetting much (or at all), then you know you've gotten to the effective limit of your TORS to pass gas....

Enjoy the tinkering.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
30,523 Posts
That's true. Suspension is a good one to look at - you can get a lot better rideability by altering the suspension a bit.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I'm from the school of thought that you better improve the handling before you increase the power.
Most people I've talked to and stuff I've read here agree that the Bonneville's stock brakes and suspension are just passable, but nothing to brag about.
If you increase the power and/or torque you'll quickly get your Go & Stop equation lopsided.

Even a stock 790/865 can be made to feel much more surefooted by doing the fork springs and tuning the front end, and doing the shocks and tuning those as well.
Many guys have also gone to EBC brake pads or gone whole hog and upgraded to floating disc and multipot calipers.

Other than that though, it really is up to individual taste and style for the order and choice of mods.
(Well, within the limits of your wallet and if you've got a wife or not! LOL)
-K

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
wouldn't that depend on what the ultimate goal is?
somebody that wants to bimble along 2 up on a sunday is going to have a list that is quite different from mine.

This is a "standard" type bike. The options and avenues are endless. Figure out what YOU really want to do with the bike and go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks for the welcome.

my bike is a 2005 bonneville 790 with a K & N filter, rejetted, with TOR exhaust. AI removed.

I am seriously considering twin power's 2nd option rev limiter with 3 degrees advance at 3500rpm.

should i leave my airbox alone with the free flowing filter or is there a good, effective way to make air flow more without going N/ARK?

thanks

JP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts