Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Optimate 4 is telling me that the battery has a short-circuited cell and that I should change the battery asap. I started the bike afterwards and it starts fine. Can the Optimate be wrong? Is it safe to/can I ride the bike to the dealer?

Do you know what might have caused this? The bike was bought in August 2008 and has ca. 1,000 miles on the clock. The battery was out of the bike during the winter months and was put on Optimate for 48 hours every 2-3 weeks. I re-installed the battery a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of 1 hour rides since then. A couple of times I had to press the starter button 2 or 3 times to start the bike and I have never had to do this before (not sure if related, but just in case...)

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. After 24 hrs, the battery measures 12.8 with the ignition switched off, 14.6 when idling and 14.4 when revving...... Is it normal for the reading to drop when revving?!?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for the reply. After 24 hrs, the battery measures 12.8 with the ignition switched off, 14.6 when idling and 14.4 when revving...... Is it normal for the reading to drop when revving?!?
Battery seems to be in top shape. As the last check - turn on the ignition, but don't start engine. Switch the lights to high beam and measure voltage. If it stays above 12V (like 12.2-12.3) your battery is in perfect health and you should check your Optimate.
Yes, it is normal to voltage drop when revved. Triumph regulator is shunt/SCR type and that's how they behave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly, hi from a new member and owner of a ST 2007 (just purchased as new and registered 2009) in black.

A good idea would be to put the Optimate on another bike and/or bike battery to see what happens.

If it seems OK, your battery could have a cell gone/going down on it and/or shorting out, EVEN THOUGH IT SEEMS FINE.

I work on Powered Access equipment in the UK (JLG, Genie etc etc) and see this a lot on the electric equipment we run on the hire fleet.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Voltage with ignition and high beam on is 12.1.

Great idea of trying the Optimate on another battery. I'll try it and report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts