Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am currently looking at getting my first bike. I've completed my MSF course and am good to go. I'm a bit bigger at 6'1 210 with big hands and big feet (size 14). The little 250s in the course were a bit of a struggle with boots on, but I managed. I've sat on a Bonneville at the dealership and the ergos fit me much better.

Right now I'm looking at a 2005 Thruxton with the following:

$4900
8800 miles
K&N pod filters (air box removed)
Epco exhaust
Rear Fender eliminator (original rear fender included)
LED gauge lights
Pro taper handle bars (original clip ons included)

Vs

2008 Stock Bonneville:

$5500
1400 miles

Any initial thoughts on price or preferences? Both asking prices are about +$1000 over NADA and closer to KBB.

Thanks-

Tom

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Both are good bikes, the real question is - do you want a cafe bike or a standard? They "feel" different with the thruxton's sportier set up (rear sets, etc). So which type of bike do you want is most important.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The 2005 Thrux is likely made in England (if thats important to you). Lots of people end up modding their Bonnie towards a Thrux. If you buy the 2005, then you are already there

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gents. Is there any benefit to it being made in England? I am trying out the Thruxton tomorrow, I'll keep you posted. :D

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
None whatsoever. Try them both, see which one you prefer the feel of and that's the one to get!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd say you have to ride both - positions are quite different, and try to tune out the performance advantage of the modded thrux if you are comparing just position.

Having said that, big vote for the modded thrux - if you are at all keen on going in that Cafe type direction, some of the work is done for you.

THe only other consideration is how you feel in general about a modded vehicles history. I, as a rule, like to buy standard bikes and do the go faster bits myself when buying second hand as the stocker is, on the whole, less likely to have been punished than the modded bike. This is, an absolute generalisation I know, and service history, number of owners, and inspections are also vital

If you don't have a shop warranty or full service books, I'd recommend getting a second opinion, friends opinion who know's bikes, trusted friends mechanic, or even a doing a full on check over yourself (there's quite a few on the interwebs that give you a pretty exhaustive list of things you can check on a 2nd hand bikie - alignments, steering bearings, evidence of repairs etc).

Most of all, try before you buy, and enjoy and love whatever you end up with!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts