Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a 2009 Sprint ABS and would like opinions (good and bad) on the following accessories:

Alarm - OEM or Scorpio SRi900
Saddle - OEM Gel or Corbin
Exhaust - OEM TOR or D&D midpipe & Cans
Bars - Stock or Helibars
Screen - OEM or Aftermarket (dark & taller)

The bike will see primary use in commuting and less than 3 hour weekend jaunts. I'm 6'2"/210# so I know the stock seat will not be sufficient for longer trips.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me with advice so far. I lost a sweet deal on a 2006 Sprint, but now I'm looking at a good deal on a 2009.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Decent list.

My $0.02

I have only used an alarm on an MC once and that is cause my K100 came with it from the factory. I just put a disc lock on when parking for any length of time. The cost of most alarms will pay for a year of comprehensive insurance. If a thief wants your bike, it is gone anyway, alarm or not.

If you are only riding for 3 hours at a stretch, the stock seat will be fine. I run a lot of 8-10 hour days in the saddle and only use a sheepskin pad over the stock seat. I'm only about 185 lbs nowadays, down from 245 or so, and have no meat on my butt.

I like quiet bikes so no opinion on the pipe. If I were to put one on, it would probably be the 2-bros.

A 2009 will already have quite a bit higher bars than did the 2006. I actually changed to LSL Superbike bar kit which is lower, but further rearward than the standard 2008 setup. I actually have them a little further back than I would like and may well redrill the adaptor to move them forward about an inch.

I put on the MRA Vario touring screen and am quite pleased with it. I got it in the dark tint. It is not higher than the factory screen but manages the air flow better. I'm a little shorter than you at 5'10" but I am pretty long of torso with only a 30" inseam so we might not sit too differently.

·
Registered
441 Posts
1. Stock alarm has issues, go else where if you really must have an alarm

2. Less than 5 hour rides stock seat is fine, I weigh more than you.

3. How much noise do you want? D&D are loud, TOR is not, check Tridents and Ixil pipes, I have Ixil's and love them.

4. Try stock first and then see what you want to change, stock are already pretty high.

5. OEM is a double bubble design, I have the Triumph short, a powerbronze double bubble, and the MRA vario, I use the MRA and the double bubble the most. Start with the stock screen and see how you like it.

Without a bunch of miles on the bike and knowing exactly what is bothering you it is hard to give you suggestions. For instance I have lower bars and a shorter screen and find them ok but I also run risers and taller screens when I feel like it. They all work fine, short screens in summer for more air, taller in winter for less.

Gary

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Hi BMWHO welcome to Sprint land:)

Your list:

Alarm - OEM or Scorpio SRi900
The Triumph alarm is made by Datatool in the UK, I had the System 3 for 3 & 1/2 years with no worries then it started playing up and I removed it.
The current model will have a S4 or System 4 I expect.
This is the datatool website:

http://www.datatool.co.uk/

Saddle - OEM Gel or Corbin

I have the Gel on my '04 Sprint ST and we love it, having said that seats like bars are totally subjective to what suits you.

Exhaust - OEM TOR or D&D midpipe & Cans
TOR is not that light and not that noisey, D& D is noisey but looks great.
The most popular non Triumph exhaust for a Sprint on this website is the Trident made in UK.
I have an exhaust poll here somewhere if you do a search.

Bars - Stock or Helibars
Totally subjective to what you like. Stock bars on all 1050s are already pretty high and the last two years got even higher.
ie. If I bought an '09 I would put the lower '04 bars on it but that is just me.

Screen - OEM or Aftermarket (dark & taller)

Once again this is a very personal choice. We have lots of threads on screens may I suggest you have a bit of a look and you will find why and why not peeps like one more than another.

Cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
First post! Long time rider and farkle master.

Alarms are pretty useless IMO, but if you insist Talon makes a pretty nice alarm and there are some that text or have GPS capability. I say go with good insurance.

Saddle... I have one philosophy. If the stock seat doesn't work, buy a Russell Day Long. I have owned pretty much every saddle out there on a variety of bikes and nobody beats RDL in my opinion. Ride the stocker and if it doesn't work, pony up the 500 or so and get the best.

Exhaust swapping. This is one I just don't get. It adds minor power and some weight savings on most bikes, but generally increases maintenance as you have repack most 3rd party mufflers, costs a lot, 80% of the time it hurts performance due to poor jetting or mapping and can damage hearing. Changing the gearing is often a better way to get more usable power.

Bars. If this is a looks thing, get the ones that look best to you. If it is a comfort thing, ride for a while and see what is causing the discomfort. The newer bikes already have a pretty upright sitting position.

Screen. Ride the bike and see if you have any buffeting that is problematic. So many people rush out to get an after market only to find that it causes more turbulence.

Accessories I find are a must on a new bike for me: GPS and mount, power connector wired to battery for quick connects to a battery tender, luggage (fan of the Coocase, Luggage Locker or Axio), Slime Air Compressor with a quality air gauge and REALLY good insurance with hefty maximums.

IMO.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum Cam:)

Pray tell where do you hail from?

Cam, Don and I ask all our forum noobs to please read our forum stickies as it gives you an idea of how we run this forum.:)

Thanks in advance on that one.

How about a bit of an introduction?

Enjoy the forum:)

Cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
New toys

Personally, I would skip the alarm. Car alarms seem to leave people stranded more than any other part of the car. Unless you think your bike will be stolen I would stay away. A disk lock would provide extra security that is free of potential electrical gremlins.

I put a set of LSL bars on my bike. I put on a set of 'superbike high' bars to provide a higher position on my 2008. I like them alot and they are a very high quality part.

I added a laminar lip to my bike. I like it but it definitely looks like an aftermarket item. On the up side, it does move the air from high on my shoulders to eye level.

I also added a set of motolights. Probably the best add as I am much more visable now.

Next on my list are a volt meter and gear indiator.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Howdy & Welcome Mr. Sweet Deal Lost,

I'm going to jump in here on the alarm thing....splash!

I have used one of these in the past and it is a fantastic product:

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/

Here is my spill on alarms. I have had two bikes stolen in the past. The third bike was there along with the two others, but it was chained to a metal post and they left the third bike behind. All this was right-under-my-nose as I was sleeping only one room over from the garage.

As some of you know, I have dozens of customers that were professional bike thieves. They steal the easy to get to bikes by backing up in a van, four big guys hop out and throw straps through the wheels and they carry the bike away like a casket. Gone.

A chain will only slow them down about 10 seconds. A disc lock, only 5 seconds. An alarm will only sound for a few seconds BUT it gives the owner a chance to wake and at least do something.

If your bike is chained and has a flashing LED alarm dash light, they may leave it alone, and go after easier prey.

I know this is not a firearms forum, but at my hacienda, if I am awakened by the alarm, the thieves will also have to deal with 230 grain hollow-point lead projectiles. :p

Peace Out!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Instead of an alarm, why not install a flashing led as a fake alarm? Much cheaper and may stop someone from going any further.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've heard the OEM alarm can be kind of annoying, don't have it though. Most threads I've read seem to lean towards the Scorpio.

I've got the Corbin seat, I really like it. Its kind of just there, I don't even think about it while riding.

My dealer threw in the TOR's for free. You might want to see if you can swing that too. Its not stupid loud like the Kerker on my old KZ650, but has a really nice pop and burble when you let off the throttle. It also sounds awesome when you rev it.

I have the risers, but its still not enough for me. I've got the LSL bar kit coming in, along with a couple cheap stainless steel bars (gp touring and daytona bends) to try to fix my wrist pain issue. I'd suggest you ride it for a while first before you start buying this kind of stuff though, you'll probably be fine with the position.

I'm fine with the stock windscreen. Wind hits me, but it doesn't whip around, its just steady. I like the way it looks better than the older flat ones too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the tips and advice.
I have a dealer sitting on 2 '08 graphites that he would like to move. Not my first color choice, but I can make it work.

Is there anywhere I can find the dealer/wholesale cost of the accessories?

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts