Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum. Any first hand experience with Triumph dealer in Swansea, MA? I live in Newport, RI. They are my closest option.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What is it you want to know?
I live less then 10 minutes from them.
That is where I bought my 2001 Bonnie.
Brand new , had it payed for before it ever it the show room floor.

Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you been pleased with the service you received? Would you recommend them for service? I've been a couple of times to make small, routine purchases. I was just interested in hearing opinions from folks who had service done there. Regretably, I don't have the time, tools or knowledge to work on bike myself...at least not yet. Need a place I can have reasonable confidence in.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Steve the owner and the mechanic Paul? I think that is his name
I don't remember. Both are knowledgeable guys.
As far as the service I can't say because I do every thing my self.
I have never brought my bike back there for anything except to get a inspection sticker.
I think they are pretty cool guys.
I do know nothing about the place is cheap but, I guess that is true
at any dealership.

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased my 07 Bonneville there. I Probably will not return. Lots of problems on accessory orders, no follow up, no return calls. Tech staff seems less informed than many other dealers I have talked with since my initial purchase.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Two Big Thumbs Down!

Problems too many to enumerate. The service support is bad, wicked bad. I gave them chances, only because they're the closest. They never have pleased me with any work. Latest example: Still waiting for a call back on a front break issue, (been over 2 weeks). My rotor is warped, should be warrantied according to my call to Triumph's US office, but Swansea doesn't see it that way. They call it a non-covered wear item. I called Armand's, (up near Bridgewater), and they have filed a repair request with Triumph for me. They say that they have replaced quite a few rotors at no charge, even after the bike's warranty had expired. Give me a PM if you want to talk some more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey you might want to try Riverside motorsports in Somerville MA, i brought my scrambler from there and it was set up perfect. I havent had a problem with it. As far as service im not sure I do my own work unless its something major, but the shop was clean and all the guys were cool. The thing i like most about them was that they are pretty triumph orientated they are the first bikes you see on the show room when you walk in. Im sure they would deliver it to RI for you.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Sorry, I've never been to the Swansea dealer, but I have had excellent experiences at both Riverside (Union Square, Somerville) and Performance Cycles in Westboro, MA. Both have top notch customer service, I can only assume that their service staff is excellent as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
the guys at Performance Cycle in Shrewsbury have treated me well
so far I have purchased an 06 Speed Triple, 2 Daytona 675s and a Street Triple from them without problem, since Sept 07
the only work they have done is to load the TORS map in the Speed Triple and that was done while I waited (with free coffee)
nice folks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard some rumors that Rayzee's is trying to become a triumph dealer...apparently ditching beemer for triumph
Interesting. I called to see if they serviced Triumphs or just what they sold. The guy in service said "unfortunately" just what they sold.

So no opinion on Swansea??

·
Registered
44 Posts
For outright buying a bike, they are fine, but ordering anything is a whole different story. I gave up and called Great Bay and have the items shipped weeks faster than trying to get Jay to actually order the items. I usually have to follow up repeatedly in order to get anything accomplished. They have done upgrades for me and I have been satisfied overall with the mechanical work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Performance Cycles

I have had great luck with the guys at Performacne Cycles the service manager Derrik is great guy. I just rebuilt a TT600 and the were a lot of help. Over all great people.

Gary Guidi

·
Registered
383 Posts
Interesting. I called to see if they serviced Triumphs or just what they sold. The guy in service said "unfortunately" just what they sold.

So no opinion on Swansea??
Not sure if you worked out your service issue's yet but i spoke with Rayzee's last week and they will be servicing Triumphs in the near future as well as selling them. So your a Newporter? I was born there and lived there for about 18 yrs, on the other side of the bay now.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I was at Armands, which is the closest Triumph dealer to me, a couple weekends ago looking at the Street Triple. I think it was the owner AJ who i was talking to, seemed pretty nice and was more than willing to work with me to sell me one of the last ones on the floor. Unfortunately i am waiting till next spring to buy. I was upset that they did not have anything like a demo to test. He stated that they only Demo the Cruisers. I was thinking of road tripping around to other dealers to see if they demo any Streets.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have read a few negatives about Triumph of Swansea on here and have to disagree. I have nothing but good if not great things to say about those guys over there. They service all of my bikes and have never had a come back, everything is always spot on and the prices seem fair. I am in business also and most of the complaining customers I get are the ones that will never be happy with whatever you do for them, so I say piss on them, don't bitch and moan when you have to pay for something you can't do yourself. Just my 2 cents. And by the way Marde, it's brake, not break.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For what it's worth, I had service done at both Triumph of Swansea and at Performance Cycles in Westboro. [Note: I bought the bike used with 500 miles on it from a guy in NY, and shipped it to MA.; and I'm an architect, so I am a bit fastidious in the maintenance of my bike, and expect any mechanics to be the same]

I was happier with both the attitude of the service-people and the actual job done at Performance Cycles. Prices were fair and the guys were really helpful and excited when I asked questions about aftermarket parts, and just talked about motorcycling.

However, my Triumph of Swansea was fine, and I really didn't have any specific complaints about them. They weren't quite as friendly as the guys over in Westboro (age could have been an issue), but they weren't necessarily unfriendly, either; fair prices (although a bit more than over at P.C., maybe 5%+/-).

Taken together, however, I will be using Performance Cycles when possible, as it was just a friendlier experience for me, that made me feel more comfortable.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been dealing with the guys in Swansea for over 11 years now. They have taken excellent care of my 1996 Sprint (I bought it used from them) and they also took care of my T595 Daytona (also used, but not bought from them). It is important to point out that a T595 is a very "difficult" child with FI issues and odd electrical problems that seem to pop up. I think a good litmus test for a true Triumph dealer is whether or not they can diagnose T595 problems and resolve them! They always found time to keep me on the road. In fact one summer, after a particularly heavy rain I came home from teaching to find the T595 taking a nap in the driveway. Of course the left cylinder decides to fill with oil at that point & I had a track day booked for Tuesday. they got the bike in Monday morning and got it all sorted that day. I think that is super service.

They recently picked up the Moto Guzzi dealership for the area, and I have since purchased a Norge from them. Again, service is first class, and I am delighted with the Norge.

I have never hesitated to recommend them as a dealer, both on price of new bikes and also competency and promptness of service.

If you want to go to a dealership and shoot the breeze, have your hand held, and generally get that "Nordtroms" feeling, they probably aren't your cup of tea. But if you want the work done properly and on time, with a thorough understanding of the idiosyncrasies of a Triumph, then I highly recommend them.

As to the negative press people like to spew regarding dealerships, I think it is important to remember there are two sides to every story. The anonymous world of the internet forum allows many people to say things they would never say to your face, and possibly even lie outright.

I suggest you drop by, you are only in Newport after all, and talk to them yourself. In the end it is you who needs t make the final determination.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought my 2001 triumph tiger from Swansea
and last year the check engine light came on on my way to New York.
Dropped in and the owner Steve dropped what he was doing and sorted me out so I could keep going , was aloose wire on the exhaust sensor.
No Charge and off I went.
Always treated me well

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've never been to Triumph of Swansea so I can't say for sure whether they're good or bad. But I can say that, of my two options (Gengras in East Hartford, CT and Performance Cycles in Shrewsbury, MA) Performance Cycle is pleasant, knowledgeable and my first choice for ordering parts. The staff is knowledgeable too. They've been a Triumph dealership since the mid 90's when the new Triumphs finally hit the states.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts