Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Sorry to blow up the thread, I know I'm new and all. Just want to get some good info going from guys who are in the know.

Who has experience with TEC bike parts? Their videos are really good, and make a good case for why their parts are good; however, the price almost seems way too good to be true. Plus, I have heard some grumbelings about overseas manufacture, etc. Conflicting things, some good some bad. What do you guys think?

I'm specifically looking at their x pipe, and slip on mufflers. But I do want any and all opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was also looking at pricier components but tested the waters with a pair of levers and saddlebag rails. The parts came quick and they feel solid. I plan on buying suspension parts from them next. I have a lot of faith in them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a number of TEC parts on my '17 T100 and so far all have been fine. I have both the front spring kit (with YSS emulator added), the rear adjustable shocks, levers, and a few farkles. However, I am still waiting after more than a month for responses to both issues I had with my front spring installation and questions about fitment on the late water-cooled models. They've been sadly silent in spite of several requests. I won't go back.

Edit - I should note the questions went to both George in. the UK and the US distributor. Their products are great value but the service I've experienced really sucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a number of TEC parts on my '17 T100 and so far all have been fine. I have both the front spring kit (with YSS emulator added), the rear adjustable shocks, levers, and a few farkles. However, I am still waiting after more than a month for responses to both issues I had with my front spring installation and questions about fitment on the late water-cooled models. They've been sadly silent in spite of several requests. I won't go back.

Edit - I should note the questions went to both George in. the UK and the US distributor. Their products are great value but the service I've experienced really sucks.
I bought the Tec progressive front fork springs, good quality and no issues with communication or price, delivery to Australia was quick and trouble free.

Peter

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The first TEC x-pipe I bought had a visible welding flaw that left a gap between tubes. I sent it back in exchange for another one. The replacement is just fine, very well made. It fit nicely. I had to pay back shipping.

TEC has no US customer service phone number. Communication is by the customer contact button on their web site only. Replies to messages can be slow, but they get the job done. TEC probably operates with a small staff to keep prices reasonable.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm air cooled, but I have TEC parts. I'm very happy with the Sprint 2-2 exhausts quality and sound wise. I also have their rear luggage rack. Wider than my last and looks nice. I wouldn't buy their rear shocks, but that's my choice based on a few posts/stories of breakage. Regardless, I have no problem supporting most of their products if I need/want 'em.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have their paddock stand bobbins for my Street Scram which are not cheap at about £40 but seem well made. There are no stock bobbin attachment points on this bike so the TEC ones are on a rod that goes through the hollow rear axle.

Like TEC, I'm in the UK and they arrived very quickly after ordering.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't purchased anything so I can comment on quality or customer service experience. So with that noted, this is just an observation.

They remind me of products from a company in the Pro Audio business, that only copied other products and sold their units for a lower price. That's what has put me off about them. Looking at a lot of their products for the Street Scrambler/Twins, they look identical to stock components. The decat for the Street Scrambler is identical but with the cat gone and from what I have heard, a few quality control issues.

The benefit of doing this should be lower cost due to saving money from research and development. I bet more often than not, the products are totally fine and a great way to save money. However I can't be on board with companies that blatantly do that. At least trick me enough that I don't think it's obvious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the Info so far guys.

As far as the copying of parts claim goes, it may have some merit to it. I can see how there could be some truth to it; however, when we are talking about parts that cost hundreds of dollars less than the competition in some cases, I am willing to overlook whatever business practices may be at play so long as the part is quality. Your mileage may vary, and I encourage you to do what you tho k it's right, and respect it. I'm just not too keen on spending money I don't need to unless there is a noticeable upgrade in quality that make a it worth it. Working for the big city doesn't pay that much lol.

And as far as the outsourcing of manufacture, I truthfully don't care at all. Just merely pointing out concernes i have seen from other threads so far.

You guys are a ton of help, thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is only about TEC USA.

TEC USA prices are cheap because the parts are cheap. The slip ons are riveted and are not uniformly attached and look cheap. I had a few of their parts and they turned to crap. The customer support sucks they are SLOW to reply if they reply at all. When you buy cheap you buy twice, first the cheap part and then later when it fails you buy the nice part. I learned the hard way with my money wasted with TEC USA

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Hey guys. Sorry to blow up the thread, I know I'm new and all. Just want to get some good info going from guys who are in the know.

Who has experience with TEC bike parts? Their videos are really good, and make a good case for why their parts are good; however, the price almost seems way too good to be true. Plus, I have heard some grumbelings about overseas manufacture, etc. Conflicting things, some good some bad. What do you guys think?

I'm specifically looking at their x pipe, and slip on mufflers. But I do want any and all opinions. Thanks!
Yeah, I used their x pipe and their cam for my Street Twin.. reliable, and worked well... i have no issues with TEC Bike parts at all

·
Registered
100 Posts
Buy from them often

I have 2 of their x-pipes, I bought their fork springs and piggy back shocks the shocks I had them on my old Street Twin and put 140000 miles on that bike and when I traded it in I made my dealer move them over to my T120 and have put an additional 140000 miles on them no issues and a huge step up from stock. I would have gone with their slip ons but they didn't have any for my T120 so I went with British Customs Predator Pros.

(I put the Ohlins stickers on them to get a rise out of my Thruxton R friends)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
TEC is shameless about stealing designs from other reputable, quality vendors and creating cheap knock-offs in China. A good percentage of the crap they produce is likely usable enough, but I wouldn't buy from them for their ethics alone.
I wish i had found this forum earlier. I bought from them before i learned they have stolen others research. Their stuff is cheap because its cheap.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Anytime a thread asking whether or not Tec is good pops up, opinions are quite varied. It’s interesting that other companies like British Customs never have threads dedicated to them.

I’m not sure what designs Tec has stolen, only that this is the only place I’ve ever seen that mentioned. They’re one of 2 companies that offer a cam upgrade for my bike (which they may very well have copied from Triumph), so that alone keeps them in my good graces. Once their parts start failing on me, I’ll move on.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts