Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Besides getting wet, what happens when it rains?
Steam my friend. Unlike bare metal, the wrap never completely dries out while its still raining. Its particularly bad when the wrap is fresh; over time it diminishes. Make sure your visor has plenty of anti fog on it.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Steam my friend. Unlike bare metal, the wrap never completely dries out while its still raining. Its particularly bad when the wrap is fresh; over time it diminishes. Make sure your visor has plenty of anti fog on it.

That makes sense. It would kind of suck to have steam rising off the pipes. That's some good information to know.

Kem

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It diminishes over time. Get your bike running and spraying the headers with a hose should help a lot.

Mine are wrapped, which is how I discovered it, and I still like them that way.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Do they corrode much quicker, as I'd imagine it would be hard to get all the salt off them in the winter?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Schmitty, you're not dead in the water... sort of speak.;) If one edge of the wrap is tattered, the opposite side is not. Unwrap, repaint/dye if necessary, flip it over & rewrap.

The comments about rain water & especially salt water are spot-on. Not a good thing for preventig rust. The solution is to first paint the pipes and then wrap.

/M

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do the wraps damage the headers? I have some Shark high pipes and would like to wrap them because they get a bit warm, but i don't won't to mess them up if I decide to sell them at a later point.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I wrapped my exhausts with DEI 1". The roll doesn't cover all the way back to the muffler. I'm looking for opinions about where the wrap ends and whether I should rewrap. I would have to buy 2 rolls and more silicon paint.

I think it looks cool. The fact that your bike is red and you have the silver engine does the trick, your bike isn't overloaded with black.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
.....can always paint it. Hmmm, how 'bout a Jerry Garcia tie-dyed look? I need to tell Rick Fairless about this.:D

/M

Yeah, Rick Fairless, lol....tie dye guy for sure. I believe he even had one of his customs tie dyed. Sure I saw a picture of it somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you!!

I've been thinking about the wrap treatment for about a year now and also of getting the headers ceramic coated for around $100. You just helped me make up my mind!!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yeah, Rick Fairless, lol....tie dye guy for sure. I believe he even had one of his customs tie dyed. Sure I saw a picture of it somewhere.
Funny, I ran into him yesterday at a tradeshow and mentioned this thread. He gave me one of those "and why are you telling me this"-kind of looks. :D

/M

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
OK, so I finally ran into the first problem with my wrapped pipes where I'm going to have to do something else :(
I got over far enough on a bumpy section and actually was dragging both headers so the wrap will need to be removed and re-done or something...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wrapped this TBS with grey header wrap and spray painted it with high temp black paint. I really like the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I apologize for the hijack but...Rum, that's impressive that you leaned her over enough to scrape the headers!!!
I'm still trying to get rid of my chicken strips.
Dude... Trust me it wasn't something I was doing on purpose. I'm not sure how I got that far over... Think it was just dumb luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wrapped this TBS with grey header wrap and spray painted it with high temp black paint. I really like the way it looks.
Looks good ;)

Did you paint them while they were still wet or dry?
I ran the bike and burned off everything first, it smoked like it was on fire for about 30 mins then quit. I let it cool down good then hit it with the high temp paint. I have probably put 300 miles on it since and the paint stays on really well i havent had to touch it up.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts