Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know the gear thing has been beaten to death, and I already did a search and found little help on the one piece thing

I also know about the gear forum, but like you guys better. Hey what can I say....I like your style ;) Besides i just read about 100 posts, don't feel like reading 1000 :D

So here it is:

I'm looking for a padded textile one piece since I'll be wearing my work clothes under. I'll mainly use for winter commutes. And leave suit in my pannier if possible.

I already have all I NEED for 2 piece deals.

Right now I'm looking at Fieldsheer Cyclone and Olympia (don't know much about). The 'stich is a lot out of my range, my 1st choice, but not till I win the lotto.

So for the sake of sanity I'm only asking about one piece textile.

thanx in advance for any help-Aaron

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right now I'm looking at Fieldsheer Cyclone and Olympia (don't know much about)......
Hard to beat the Olympia Phantom for either function or price. Waterproof and warm; vents good up to about 85F. It's my winter and cooler spring, fall touring suit. I wear the Olympia Stealth touring the rest of the time; no complaints.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.html

Pages and pages of writeups on either on Advrider.com

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Good point and the only reason I haven't bought a pair of Carhartts.

But when the weather is vicious cold (And you may rightly ask who in his/her right mind would be out in vicious cold...) I've been tempted to run to Intermountain farmers and drop a C-and-a-half. They otta look stylin' with my PAC boots and Air Force Surplus Arctic mittens, don't you think? :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm envisioning James Bond (Conery syle) or perhaps Elmer Fud....either way, very dapper :rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry I don't have personal experience with them, but I've heard a lot of folks sing the praises of the fieldsheer one-pieces as a cheaper alternative to the 'stitch suits. The only negative I ever hear about the 'stitches are the pools of water that collect in the crotch (do the new suits resolve this?).

·
Registered
441 Posts
The stitch leaks at the crotch always. People will claim "oh mine doesn't", well bull pucky. Andy has had 25 years to fix it and still has not. The Olympia may leak it may not, if you close it right then you should not have a problem. The Fieldsheer is well Fieldsheer, some are happy with the quality others are not, I am not. As far as I know the only one piece suite that will not leak and is easy to use is the Rev'it Infinity suite. But at $1099 until Jan 1 then $1299 it is not for everyone.

Now a touch on me. My local dealer has started having me meet with the clothing reps when they come in. He did this because I started asking lots of questions about gear. I have read most of the studies regarding manufacter and abrasian resestance of materials and protective clothing. For some reason I really got a bug in my bum about gear. So here sitting in my living room I have a bunch of fabric samples from Schoeller (can you say Keprotec) and others. So I have come to learn that in addition to quality material, gear has to use the right stiching and then be designed in a particular manner to really survive an off well.

As a result of all of this I now have some really strong opinions when it comes to gear. And no I don't believe you get what you pay for. Due to the way the industry works you can pay a huge mark up on stuff given how it is distributed. So depending on the distribution network equal quality gear can and does some time cost less.

And if anyone cares I own Hein Gericke, Fieldsheer, Scorpion, Held, Oxtar, Diadora, Icon, Caberg, Teknic, Firstgear and Warm & Safe stuff. Some of the gear is very good and other stuff, er... not so much.

Oh and one last thing, if money is tight, watch ebay, or the used gear section of a certain adventure rider site for used stich gear. Or pick up a second at the aerostich site. Plus don't discount a two piece roadcrafter, when it is zipped together it is as easy to use as a one piece.

Gary

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I always used Fieldsheer when I was a long distance, all weather courier...BUT that was back in the day and I believe the maunfacturing was switched from Europe to India, and ......you guessed it, outright quality did seem to suffer......

Never had any problems with my Fieldsheer stuff, and in fact I know one of my old Fieldsheer waterproof armoured textile jackets from the late 90's is STILL in service today, with my mate, Colin, who still couriers in the UK.

Must add I only ever used Fieldsheer and Hein Gericke, not sure how easy Hein Gericke is to get over here, but their stuff, especially leathers, saved my life, and my skin!! on more than 6 occasions.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts