Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
That's if you're still young & supple enough to turn your head at the neck, which I'm not. I broke the left mirror on my Ducati, on my East Coat tour last year. It wasn't a problem while I was riding in the bush, but nearly killed me when I was negotiating Sydney's traffic. However I had one mirror on my Scrambler for years, & never had any problems.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Personally I would NEVER consider less than two mirrors. I do not think mirrors are any sort of replacement for a head check either. If my neck becomes too stiff to turn well... my factor of safety will be reduced or I'll have to quit riding (I'll take up yoga to keep it flexible before quitting though).
I never use a mirror OR a head check for more than 1 heartbeat at a time. Things are always happening MUCH faster in front of you (approx 103 feet per second @ 70 MPH) than from the rear or sides (unless while sitting at a stoplight.)

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I do understand the post saying you have to turn your body to check behind you...

One of the guys I ride with is Reeeaaalllyyy Ssslllooowww...and a mirror check and an over the shoulder isnt good enough at times to locate him...so I do have to take my hand off the brake and twist around to see where hes at at times...

Oh...and yes he does ride a Harley...;):D

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Back in the days when mirrors were an 'accessory' (remember the Stadium ones that clipped onto the handlebars?), traffic was much lighter, and not as fast. With modern speeds and densities, I feel I need to know what is around me on both sides at all times, and two mirrors do it for me. I never ride without a helmet, but I know it is far easier to look to the side and slightly behind with an open-face helmet than it is with my usual full-face, so perhaps when few people wore helmets it was easier to look behind you too.

One very important observation, though. It is only necessary to know what is behind you if the traffic behind could be travelling faster than you are. If you ride in such a manner that no-one could possibly be going quicker, then mirrors are completely unnecessary and looking ahead is all you require. This is what I recommend.

"Objects in the mirror no longer matter."

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
I'm surprised no one's put a rear-view camera on a bike yet.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
On my Scrambler I have two mirrors, but I have set the tension in their mountings so that I can turn them in to reduce the width of the bike for riding through traffic. They are the mirrors I used to have on my Trident, they were a good speed indicator; at 110mph the wind would rotate them inwards of their own accord.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
:DarnThats it, I'm going out to buy a FF helmet in fluro colours, an armoured body suit, leather everything, and another mirror! Phew I'm lucky to be alive. What was I thinking?:eek:

;)

On second thoughts maybe I'll carry on with Black Dog's technique!

:laughhard

·
Registered
364 Posts
I normally use black dogs technique as well, the only problem occurred the other day when the only thing going faster than me on the road had blue flashing lights on top of it. Luckily I saw them in my mirrors in plenty of time and had slowed down when they caught up.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Never met a Thruxton I couldn't thrash.:D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm surprised no one's put a rear-view camera on a bike yet.
They have. It was on the original; Ducati MHR ( the retro classic). The prototype had a camera and when the bike went into production it was dropped out. However, the camera is available as an add on and I actually ran into a guy with it mounted to his MHR.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I can see more behind me with the stock mirrors on my Scram than I can with the Napoleon bar end mirrors on my T100. No matter how much I've adjusted the left mirror on the ball or positioned the shaft straight up or out, there is a serious blind spot that would have been the cause for dozens of hits from cars if I hadn't looked over my shoulder. I still look over my shoulder on my Scarm, but it's just a habit.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Luckily I saw them in my mirrors in plenty of time and had slowed down when they caught up.
Always best to be polite. Police officers hate to feel second-best. Slow down and let them pass.

Then go and do your thing.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts