Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have had my 06 ST now for all of one day. I like the ride and am enjoying the bike.

Unfortunately I had my first problem. Read LED unit started flickering and now it's gone. No tail light, no brake light.

Maybe its the unit itself, maybe there's a loose connection due to the dealer relocating the tail unit to fit the side panniers. In any case, no real riding for me today (Sunday) :( with no brake light.

Have to visit the service shop tomorrow morning. That's a 40km ride both on highway and in dense city traffic with no rear lights. I just hope they can fix it on the spot and not have to wait for them to get a new LED unit.

Is there anything I can check to maybe spare me the visit to the service shop?

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2006-11-25 23:58 ]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You owe it to yourself to check that the light connection didn't just become disconnected. Sounds very plausible seeing that the dealer was in there mucking about. I've never seen an '06 apart, but I bet that Triumph still stuff's a lot of wiring in the tail compartment just behind and below the tail light housing. I would definitely remove the seat assembly (you're going to hate putting the seat bolts back in, but there are a few experts at that here too) and take a look in there. My bet is one of the connections came apart and should be an easy fix without the need for a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would get under the tail section and remove the plastic piece held on with three bolt screws which hides the wiring to the rear brake and tail light and rear blinkers. Your service guy removes it to get to other three bolts to reposition the entire tail assembly rearward to accommodate the side hard bags from hitting the stock rear turn signal covers. Check the wiring to see if all connected. Perhaps it's a bad bulb? Maybe the fuse went out? It's as much as I would attempt. Good luck. Congrats on the new ride. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the owner's handbook I see that the tail light is on the same fuse with the ignition and the brake light is on a separate fuse together with the indicators and horn.

As my only problem is the tail light and the brake light (the LED unit) I guess a blown fuse is not the problem

I'll have to dig under the tail unit to see if there's an issue with the wires going in the LED unit. I guess there should be connector somewhere that allows one to plug the rear LED unit to the bike's wiring. I don't know if that is located in the tail section or somewhere else inside the bike (under the seat?)

As the name implies the LED unit is not a bulb. If it's gone, you have to replace the whole unit. It's what the manual calls 'maintenance free' :hammer:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, thanks everybody. I fixed it. That was quick, I think!

It was a loose connector under the tail unit. I had to remove two allen bolts and slide off the plastic cover under the tail unit. All connectors are located there. One was loose.

No problems experienced apart from the fact that it was a bit tight working under there. Thankfully the bolts are magnetic which made life easier.

Saved me from the trip to the dealer and also saved my Sunday ride! :cool:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Funny realization...you guys are all done with your Sunday rides and we are just preparing for them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts