Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
My all-time favorite motorcycle columnist -- Peter Egan -- wrote a column several years ago where he tackled this very topic. Peter's take was that 5 bikes were the perfect number to own, and went on to justify his reasoning. Egan says that every motorcyclist needs a dirt bike, a dual sport, a sport-tourer, a standard, and a cruiser/touring bike.

I need to go dig that column out again. It's in his book "Leanings".

Keep the rubber side down.
Saw that column. Egan's right on the mark. Five bikes is perfect. I need three more....

H

·
0 Posts
Keen to hear how the Motus pans out Hap. I like the look of them.;)
For both you and Junipero. Well, now that I gave them some $ they send me emails every week telling me about who rode the bike where, what moto head rode and reviewed it and how it is doing passing the emission tests every where. (Might not even need a cat converter)
Since I got to see and set on it in Denver they have started another test run up the east coast of the US. There are sensors every where on these bikes and it will be cool to see the very final configuration. Seems to be mostly engine mapping now. Direct injection in that lump needs a faster response to low rpm city driving.

I have been told it could be very early 2012 but I don't think final production models will be built til emission tests are passed. I really don't mind waiting. I waited 2 years for a Ken Dreir Norton and one day he sent a check with the $1,000 deposit and said how sorry he was. These guys remind me of that kind of bike builder but better financed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love having the Beemers and the Speedmaster. Different types of rides for different situations. For 2 up the LT can't be beat, but for just plain fun the Speedmaster really thrills me. MHO:D

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The great thing about having 2 is if one's down for repairs you can still ride. It makes me more comfortable with working on my bikes knowing I don't have to rush it. My two bikes compliment each other, the DR is for commuting to work and playing on dirt roads while the Tiger is there for longer paved rides. Not putting as many miles on the Tiger is a huge bonus since it's way more costly to repair so I think that justifies having the DR. If I were to get a 3rd bike I think it would be a gas saving scooter or a small vintage Honda 90 or something along those lines.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Nothing wrong with 2! I currently have 3, but only the Sprint is on the road. My old zx is a track bike project, and the third bike is dirt. I decided to sell the Ninja 500 though as it was mostly just sitting. There really isn't much it did better than the Sprint, except maybe city riding, and I don't do much of that.

If I had the money and space I could easily justify having 5 as Egan suggests.

Hap, when you get that Motus I sure hope you give us all a detailed review.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's great having two bikes. My wife rides alot with me, especially touring in the mountains or a Sunday afternoon ride.

However when I get a day off during the week or I just feel like going out for 4-5 hours, theirs nothing like having something a little lighter and better ability to ride the twisties.

Oldsprint03

2007 - Rocket III
2009 - GSR750 ( just bought it three months ago, new on the floor. Never even prepped until after I bought it)

·
Registered
560 Posts
The earlier anti-cruiser sentiments make no sense to me. I have a sport-tourer which is complemented by the Tbird. A standard or sport bike or street bike would be too similar to the fjr to be a necessary second bike.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I looked at the Egan article tonight and it actually says the five,for him, would be: a sport bike, a sport tourer, a dirt bike(anything from motocrosser to dualsport, "a great big Hog of some kind", and an "old crock" to remind us of "how far we've come and how much we've lost".

He notes in the article that the serious question of how many bikes to have was carefully considered in the course of a gathering down in Mexico with the aid of many margaritas. It does sound like one those kinds of questions. I like the old crock idea tho.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I thought he had an old 'crock' on the list. I like the idea. His big old hog, I believe, was a Road King. I suppose that'd be the one hog I'd get because it is such a cop bike. You know, "cop motor, cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks..." and a busted cigarette lighter. :)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yep, to me the RoadKing is the standard Harley. Closest thing to the old Harleys from back in the day. I'd like to take a good long ride on one. Every once in a while I think about renting one for a day. Just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Yep, to me the RoadKing is the standard Harley. Closest thing to the old Harleys from back in the day. I'd like to take a good long ride on one. Every once in a while I think about renting one for a day. Just for the hell of it.
Go for it! That's one thing Harley probably does better than the other manufacturers, at least here in the US. They have rental outfits everywhere and are always doing demo days. What better test ride than to rent the bike for a weekend and really find out whether you want it or not?

They even do demos to teach women how to pick up the bike if they drop it. I've watched the videos of it myself because if a chick can pick up an 800lb HOG easily, I can use the same technique on my bike if it's ever needed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think I may ha e gotten this from someone on the forum. If I thought of it myself im more clever than I thought (or maybe I was having too many margaritas like Pete Egan). Anyway, this is the argument I used with my wife for my second (and third) motorcycle. We'll see if it works for a fourth...

Here it is:

"Darling, how many pairs of black shoes do you have? You have a pair for running, for beach combing, for wearing with jeans, with slacks, with a casual dress, with a cocktail dress, etc., right..? You see, Motorcycles are like black shoes. I need bikes for cruising, for the dirt, for touring, and for the twisties..!"

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I tell ya, I'd look at the new Switchback if I were in the market for one a them thar Hurley Devidsins.

H

·
0 Posts
I think I may ha e gotten this from someone on the forum. If I thought of it myself im more clever than I thought (or maybe I was having too many margaritas like Pete Egan). Anyway, this is the argument I used with my wife for my second (and third) motorcycle. We'll see if it works for a fourth...

Here it is:

"Darling, how many pairs of black shoes do you have? You have a pair for running, for beach combing, for wearing with jeans, with slacks, with a casual dress, with a cocktail dress, etc., right..? You see, Motorcycles are like black shoes. I need bikes for cruising, for the dirt, for touring, and for the twisties..!"

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle App
I really don't want to be nosy but just how many pair of black shoes does she have? You might end up with 9,10 or 11 bikes. Hap:D

H

·
0 Posts
Well, women do need a variety of shoes and in many colors. So that argument might work, but if I were your wife I would point out that all my shoes combined cost less than 1 bike:D

But, since I like bikes just as much, you wouldn't have to use any argument with me for buying another.
You dear lady would be a "keeper" for any bike loving man. Hap

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You dear lady would be a "keeper" for any bike loving man. Hap
Yes, but perhaps not for a man who wants a boat or an airplane. Or a condo on the beach of San Diego.

Been through all 3 of the above scenarios. I had to say no, not because I didn't want him to have those things, but because they were completely impossible for us to afford short of winning the lotto or robbing banks.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I had to say no, not because I didn't want him to have those things, but because they were completely impossible for us to afford short of winning the lotto or robbing banks.
Which just proves the point a very rich, and very cynical, guy I got talking to at the boatyard said one day:

"If it floats, flies or f***s, you're better off renting."

21 - 40 of 53 Posts