Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - anyone out there use just one bar end mirror, is there a law against this ?

anyone got a photo?

cheers
Ian

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Check your local laws. Here in the states, there are wide differences in bike requirements. New Jersey requires one, on the left side I think, but really no mention of exactly where or what size.
I have one bar end, although on a Bonneville- I like the look of it:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Just checked that out, MotoZig - I have seen more complete laws, from ABATE, I think. For instance, according to ABATE, the bike must have a chain guard if it has passenger pegs, turn signals required for certain year bikes and newer, etc.
Had to find the truth. Got a ticket one for one mirror and had an hour phone call with the DMV dept, engineering, to find that I was within the law. Phew!
If they keep us guessing, it is easier for them. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
love the look

Bonnie looks ace...love the flow of that tank up n over the bars....as long as you don't follow it under hard braking !!

I did wonder about the weight imbalance, but figured the shopping bag hanging from the other bar end would do the job...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was running one bar end on the left for quite some time after a minor low slide took the other mirror out. I'm pretty sure it's legal in New York (I didn't have a problem with leo's).

·
Registered
90 Posts
South Carolina law specifies one mirror, no limits on size, shape, or location. I run one CRG Hindsight on the left. Probably going to get a Blindsight for the right- sometimes I just want to see there without turning my head. And oh yeah- no aerodynamic problems at 120+mph and I keep all my change in my right pocket...

·
Registered
656 Posts
hmm... I've actually been running no mirrors (or plates...:rolleyes:) for a little while. Passed several cops, they didn't care. And I have to guess they saw me on my bright green S3... Of course, where I'm from I know that most cops don't give a rats ass about catching bikers. (Don't worry, I'm getting bar ends as soon as I can. It's winter, so I really don't ride much. Plates are on now.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check your local laws. Here in the states, there are wide differences in bike requirements. New Jersey requires one, on the left side I think, but really no mention of exactly where or what size.
I have one bar end, although on a Bonneville- I like the look of it:

Varies by state yes...I used to have my triple like that, just a left side bar end. TillI got suprised a couple times by approaching cars on my right (from the HOV) I put both back on after that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
in Illinois youre allowed to have only one, but it must be able to view objects 200 feet away or something. w/e

I use two because when riding in big groups of people with lines on either side of me, I need to know my surroundings.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use two because when riding in big groups of people with lines on either side of me, I need to know my surroundings.

I also use two, but its because as I previously stated, I dont want my bike to be lopsided and fall over while Im riding it!:p Actually Georgia requires one mirrior minimum. I did run with only one for a while after a lowside I had a few months ago. I stole a replacement of my fathers scooter!:D Looks just like the CRGs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts