Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Long time reader, first time poster.

I found a 1998 locally (well, an hour away). It has a dent in the top of the tank, but outside of that, it looks in pretty decent shape.

Anything that I can take a look out for when I inspect in person? I plan on getting a written service history from the owner, but is there anything else I should ask about that might be specific to this model and year?

It has almost 13,000 on the clock.

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Being complete and running is the first cut, then priced accordingly. Ms B's complete, original almost new came with the carbs in a box but for $1,400 big deal. My '98 had set outside a bit and wouldn't start but for $1,000 big deal. In short, if priced right, just buy it and sort it out later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are awesome deals. The one I'm looking at isn't thAt good a deal, but still a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sprag Clutch

Birch,

Seems the sprag clutch was the primary weakness of the early 'Birds (Legends & Adventurers), but I can't describe the sounds a bad sprag makes while trying to start. Make sure it has been replaced, otherwise a very expensive fix (may have to split the case on a '98). Do a search on here re: further info. If it has been replaced, these are tremendous bikes, and if there is anything you don't know how to fix, the guys on this forum are an incredible resource. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Birch,

Seems the sprag clutch was the primary weakness of the early 'Birds (Legends & Adventurers), but I can't describe the sounds a bad sprag makes while trying to start. Make sure it has been replaced, otherwise a very expensive fix (may have to split the case on a '98). Do a search on here re: further info. If it has been replaced, these are tremendous bikes, and if there is anything you don't know how to fix, the guys on this forum are an incredible resource. Good luck!
A quick poke around the forum shows that it was a 95-97 issue and none of it involving a TBS. Can anyone throw some more light on this?

Thanks for the info and heads up!! Never would have known about that as a potential issue.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
1998 would have the fully sorted sprag, so that should be a non issue.

Just give it a regular inspection like you would any other liquid cooled bike.

The later coils (gill) have the reputation of failing earlier than the PVL ones used on the earlier bikes. But Honda's sometimes need coils replaced also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts