Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot determine what size mine is...

The bike was manufactured, or frame post stamped 10/05 the M/C has a "4 NISSIN" molded on the front of the M/C and a molded circle with 48 on the back.

How tell if I have a 14mm or 5/8 inch M/C?

[ This message was edited by: Husky23 on 2006-11-30 14:32 ]

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you take a flashlight and look real close you will see a #14 cast on the body of the MC itself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2006-11-30 21:38, upnet wrote:
If you take a flashlight and look real close you will see a #14 cast on the body of the MC itself.
Did the flashlight thingie...looked all over.

Is there a specific location for this cast in #14?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'll make a wild guess that the 48 you see means 4/8" which is 1/2" about equal to 12.7 mm. But then would it have been 1/2 rather than 4/8 and doesn't 12.7 sound too small

5/8 is about 16mm.

I've seen MC stamped in either metric or inches in an apparently arbitrary fashion. :???:

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2006-12-01 08:05 ]

·
Registered
18 Posts
While 14mm isn't exactly 1/2", I've found several places on the net that refer to the 14mm master cylinder as "14mm (1/2").

14mm is .55" so I suppose it's close enough. 48 could be loosely translated as 1/2". But that's awful strange to use that scheme.

Why not 816 or 1632....or better yet, 12!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya know . . .

Presuming that we have all read our MCs correctly, it seems that there are at least 3 versions of MCs that have been put on non-ABS '05+ Sprints. Two versions at least for 14mm, and a 5/8 that I have personally seen on a non-ABS '06. What gives?

While I admit that I am not expert in manufacturing logistics, parts supply and assembly, doesn't it appear somewhat strange and haphazzard that there should be such a variety on essentially the same model run. I am not trying to nitpick at a generally well engineered bike. But, is this kind of variety common? As far as I know, at least for the '05+ Sprints, the brake system is the same. Yes? No?

And, none of these questions have anything to do with whether a 14mm MC vs 5/8 should be used, or whether there are other problems in the design, parts or assembly of the system.

Aaron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts