Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Daytona; 03 on. One has come up, right place, right price (wrong colour, but whatever), but it started its life as a dealers ex-demo bike.

Should I be worried about this? I presume all the servicing has been done properly, but what if it hasnt been run in properly, or what if it's been thrashed repeatedly when young. Will this have had an effect?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
BadMiker, Break in has been an arguable practice for years. Many ignore while just as many follow break in procedures. At this point if it's running, not smoking or showing any other problems, it's likely just fine.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I agree....

It should be okay...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I understand most of the issues; there will be a certain ammount of detritus generated by a brand new engine (microscipic swarf from bores and gears). This should be cured by frequent initial oil changes, I'd guess.

Other issues are to do with the 'bedding in' of bearing surfaces (journals and pistons/bores). Again; regular oil changes would help this.

So, if the service history is followed properly it should be ok?

Can you tell me what the service intervals/requirements are for a new machine?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm just going through the break in process with my new 2004 D955. The break in procedure stated in the owner's and service manual is:

Max RPM:

0-100 mi (0-160 km): 3500
100-300 mi (160-480 km): 5000
300-600 mi (480-960 km): 6000
600-800 mi (960-1280 km): 7000
800-1000 mi (1280-1600 km): 8000

The first service interval is at 500 miles (800 km). It includes oil and filter change, along with the regular checks (clutch and throttle cable adj, cooling system, fuel system, drive chain, electrical system, brakes, suspension, etc.) The next service interval after that isn't until 6000 miles (10000 km), or every year, of course. I may dump the oil and filter again in my bike at 3000 miles (5000 km), just to be on the safe side.

Like any bike that is new to you, give it an oil change and a good once over...then ride and enjoy!!! :thumbsup:

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
BadMiker, Triumph uses conventional oil for the first 500 miles of break-in. Mine went to Mobil1 4T synthetic at that point. From then on to the normal maintenance schedule (tho' I change oil at 3K rather than 6K miles). Not like in the days of sand castings that required changes at 100-500-1000 miles.

IMHO the engine is well broken in by 500 miles and the transmission by 1000 miles (going by mine's shifting improvement during break-in). Another thing to keep in mind is that a rider test riding a Triumph is a world apart from the rider looking at a R6.

Again, if it's good now, there's nothing to worry about because it was a demo.

Brad

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Daytona; 03 on. One has come up, right place, right price (wrong colour, but whatever), but it started its life as a dealers ex-demo bike.

Should I be worried about this? I presume all the servicing has been done properly, but what if it hasnt been run in properly, or what if it's been thrashed repeatedly when young. Will this have had an effect?
I bought mine as a demo, and haven't had a problem yet, knock in wood. I have about 8000 miles on it, bought it with 1200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts