Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone reading this new post.

I have been a member for some years but suffered a horrific accident in London on the 12th May 2012.
For the next couple of year I kept trying and hoping to be able to ride again but alas the body damage and brain injury I suffered has finally stopped me riding to my horror as you can imagine.

It is not for lack of trying. I have a Triumph sprint ST 955i in black which is in my profile pic. I bought this straight after my accident which is still with me.
Unable to ride with-out severe pain the next day or even through the night I went out and then bought the newer version.

A sprint ST 1050, low miles and exceptional condition.
If you know me you know I am fussy and particular so you know it's near mint condition.

After trying and suffering for a year this was still too awkward and sore on me and stressing me out.

It now sits collecting dust unfortunately.
I may have managed to do a few miles, but since I bought it, it basically gets a run out to stop the clutch seizing with sitting for long periods. I will get rid but it will kill me to see it go, as it is now genuinely becoming a collectors bike as it will never see the light of day anymore with me.

This next paragraph is swearing by mentioning another brand so forgive me for what I did.>:)
It is over, so I then went out and bought the all new BMW K1300s in the rarer tri colour. (new to me, it had 7,000 miles on her and mint condition with full touring kit and panniers etc.
I just sold her last week so this is now gone from my collection.

I managed about 3,000 miles on her before once again I had to call it a day on my doctors orders this time.

I had to resit my car driving test because of the brain injury which I passed recently so I have now bought myself a big beautiful luxury car to go cruising in:surprise:

I am addicted to motorcycles. Even the accident and damage I'm still suffering is not keeping me away from motorbikes.

I have given my ST 955i to my step-son for his 21st so at least it is getting used, and unfortunately abused but he has to learn the same as some of us did as we were growing up.

I have some memory problems (putting it mildly:grin2:) but yet I still am managing to keep my hand in certain things.

I ended up with carers every day who do things I'd rather not say on here for me, but know that they take great care of me daily and make my life so much easier as with-out them I cannot dress properly or get out of bed with-out severe pain and problems.

It was fun when I was still trying to say I could still ride as they had to always help me in and out of my bike gear so to them I think me off the bikes is easier on them.

I always planned since the accident to get over this but alas it seems I have now got to accept that the reality is I am unable to ride safely.

I lost a lot of years as I keep getting reminded we are now in 2016 and in the middle of all this I see poor Trimoto burned down in London. On a good note I see they have rebuilt and are now back up and running officially in their new but old premises. I mention them because they have looked after me and my triumphs for a lot of years while in London and have been very good towards me personally since the accident. Les and Jason. http://www.trimoto.co.uk

Helping each other it has helped me forget about my troubles as they lost everything over-night and have come back from it, stronger than before, so hats off to them.
I don't need to thank them personally as I know there help towards me is true friendship amongst some hard times.

I moved out of London to the middle of no-where but I love it.
I have a lot of hobbies I'm slowly trying to get on with and into so things are looking very positive my end and I hope to be a part of the Triumph forum once again. I also got heavily into gardening and bird watching, but NOT a twitterer or what-ever you call them.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
It sounds like life has set you on a different course with new hobbies and adventures awaiting you. Sorry to read motorcycle riding is not in your future. But, as you mentioned, other activities fill the void and life is still worth living. I'm at an age where I enjoy yard work, hiking, and the cush ride of my Jaguar almost as much as blasting around the countryside on a motorcycle. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Stealth, it is so good to hear from you. I am glad you are doing OK. I always appreciated your positivity as you worked through the accident. Cars, gardening and bird watching are great endeavors. Take care and hope to hear back from you soon.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm at an age where I enjoy yard work, hiking, and the cush ride of my Jaguar almost as much as blasting around the countryside on a motorcycle. Not a bad thing, I suppose.
I also bought a Jag for myself.
Instead of a BMW car which is always what I owed in my past.
I got a Jaguar XJ6, 2004 with less than 50,000 miles on her and in absolute mint/showroom condition. It took a while to find one in all black leather but eventually one turned up after a few months of looking. (my carers did all the looking and hunting but it was helping me)

My friends ride out but at least I can also get to the meets with them on occasion.:grin2:
Here she is, but I might get a row for posting it in a motorbike forum so I better do some posts of my 1050 ST as it has had some serious money spent on her by the old owner and then by me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank-you

Stealth, it is so good to hear from you. I am glad you are doing OK. I always appreciated your positivity as you worked through the accident. Cars, gardening and bird watching are great endeavors. Take care and hope to hear back from you soon.
Thank-you so much. I am at a bit of a loss as no doubt people on here will maybe remember we and what happened but I have no recollection of mostly everyone on here so sorry if I can't remember who all used to follow what happened to me.

I have started reading through my old posts but gave up as I'd rather not know anymore. A lot of time seems to have passed so all is well and every day is a new one to me.
I don't remember or can't recall a lot of things but trust me when I say this is now not a problem and actually seems to be a blessing in disguise.
I speak into a head piece which types as I speak what I say so I could rattle out pages of text in seconds.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got reminded by my carers that I have a motorbike I dumped in a garage in Cambridge last summer.
I bought a new Triumph Bonneville, in 2013 at some point and it is now sitting in a garage.
I went for the purple one as I was giving it to Leslie, the other half who has seen me through what I am suffering.

She has a full bike licence and I thought the Bonny would suit her to a tee. Alas it is no use to her and freaks her out to ride it.
She is just slightly too small for the bike to control it safely which was a bummer.
So another bike to part company with soon. It might have about 1000 miles on her so still almost new.

Seems I was so darn determined I was going to ride again I kitted out the family with bikes also. I have a lot of blank memory stuff so lots of things have happened and lots of things I've been up to. It needs somehow to always have someone start a thought or memory for me to somehow remember some details of what I was doing. Constant prompting I think you call it.

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Sir, I am sorry to read this story. But your attitude and forward looking seems to be giving you a great future, even if it has to be without motorcycles.

Does gardening mean you get to buy power tools? I want a chainsaw. Not sure why, but when I start a garden I am getting a chainsaw...

Cheers, and be well!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sir, I am sorry to read this story. But your attitude and forward looking seems to be giving you a great future, even if it has to be without motorcycles.

Does gardening mean you get to buy power tools? I want a chainsaw. Not sure why, but when I start a garden I am getting a chainsaw...

Cheers, and be well!
Yes chainsaws are in my arsenal.
I only needed two, a single handed one for up the trees and a larger one for taking trees down for firewood etc. 33cc and 50cc.
I also live in the middle of no-where so I can rip the powersaw at 2am if I want and not annoy anyone.

I was a forester in the North of Scotland, clear-fell/bench felling contractor to the Forestry Commission, EFG and a few other private forest owners. Around Inverness, Fort Augustus, fort-William and Achanalt. This would have been from late 80's-early 90's.

5 years I spent at it and this is where I made my money earlier in life. I also took on contracts for tree planting so have planted over a million trees in my life.
I took this on after being a mechanic for some years with BMW.
I went on to other things also and ended up taking an easy option of teaching mostly at uni level up and down the UK and up until my accident.
Yet with all my body damage and brain, I can still operate a chain-saw safely (even if only for a couple of mins) and the farmers around here have started coming to me when they need trees felled beside roads and power-lines.

Only thing I will ever tell you is make sure you have a hat with safety visor and ear-muffs. The safety visor is your life-line when you get a kick-back from the tip of the blade. With-out this your face is wide open to damage as kick-back happens mostly in front of your face with your arms near your face.
I used gloves, jacket, trousers and boots explicitly made for using power saws and even here for simple firewood I still gear up.

Youtube should have plenty of video of chainsaws and how to use safely. Do have a look.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sit here with tears in my eyes. I am deeply moved by this thread.

Moved by the story, the honesty, the resilience, the struggle, the determination, the pragmatism, and the humanity.

Thank you all.
Thank-you for taking the time to read it.

you have me also with tears reading the comments you left.

It has opened a lot of raw feelings with me as it is my carers who look after me found a folder with some of my website details and forums I used to use in the past.

I didn't know I had a user name or was a life time supporter of this forum but reading what I wrote some years back is too much for me. I did not know I had done this back then.

I struggle to learn or comprehend anything new but I have an entire life of experience and professions to draw on which is how I now live and it works great for me this end.

My last goal and drive is to become independent once again if possible.(realistically no, but strange things sometimes happen).

I now use the birds and animals around me to get a daily routine into something of a system.
They don't know what a clock is or day of the week and manage fine, so I do the same and this works for me. (Just don't set me a time or date, because you have lost big time on this:grin2:)

I have learnt to look outside for a reference as to whether it's 12.00 am or 12.00pm as I kept phoning people in the early hours thinking it's afternoon time.:frown2:

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
So glad to see you posting again. Obviously your life has changed tremendously but your attitude is awesome. Amazing to see you getting on with your life and doing what you are able as well as fighting tooth and nail to regain much of what you had. You are an inspiration. Thank you.

Reactions: stealthmode666

·
Registered
5,735 Posts

Maybe start with a rototiller. Never seen anyone dig a furrow with a chain saw.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Stealth,

It is great to have you posting here again! I followed the story of your accident and recovery and have thought of you frequently in the interim. It is good to hear that you are getting on as well as possible and have not lost your positive attitude.

I do have a thought concerning your bike. If you aren't concerned about the money it would bring, you might prepare it for long-term storage (drain the gas, spray fogging oil into the cylinders, remove the battery, etc.) and set it up as a display in your house. I have decided to do the same with my old Norton, once my riding days are over. It would serve as a tribute to a very positive stage in your life that you no longer pursue, but remember fondly.

Good luck with your new pursuits and don't be a stranger.

Reactions: stealthmode666

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stealth,

I do have a thought concerning your bike. If you aren't concerned about the money it would bring, you might prepare it for long-term storage (drain the gas, spray fogging oil into the cylinders, remove the battery, etc.) and set it up as a display in your house. I have decided to do the same with my old Norton, once my riding days are over. It would serve as a tribute to a very positive stage in your life that you no longer pursue, but remember fondly.

Good luck with your new pursuits and don't be a stranger.
Thank-you so much for your post, this is along the lines I'm thinking, but not with the Triumphs I've bought. I'll sell them on as I have a hobby brewing where I might customise a pre-built Triumph so the money will get me started on this. Looking at the cruising side of Triumphs.

I already have the room downstairs sorted out to do it.(until I stuffed it full of boxes lately but they can soon go to another room when needed)

I also built a massive garage for myself to store all my bikes in when I moved here after the accident. Shocked a few people as I built what might be called a deluxe garage.:nerd:

My carers have been a big help in this project.

It's not quite finished, but nearly. Taken me 17 months so far as my stubbornness will not let me stop until it's finished. My body always tries to slow me down but it's a battle I usually win on the day and suffer afterwards.

I went for 25x12 feet and high roof and have it looking like an open plan log cabin inside.
It's stronger than most dam houses that are built these days:smile2:

Would have taken a two-man joinery team probably two weeks non-stop but I don't care as part of the fun is designing and building it.

I keep trying hobbies to let me use my body but they seem to be getting harder.
I've even bought a newish panel van as I was going to kit it out for travelling and camping. Too uncomfortable to drive for me even after all new running gear I replaced over the last year as at the end of the day it is a unit designed for carrying heavy loads and not touring.

My carers keep saying I need to go on holiday but I'm happy here trying and doing things to keep me busy and active.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts